• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 Dodge Polara Retirement ride.

Gunner1

Local time
1:55 PM
Reaction score
ECF4CDBC-A43C-464C-ACE1-1A71D8686A41.jpeg

Finally bought a dream car. In 63 a guy in high school with me got a max wedge dodge. It couldn’t hook up worth beans on the stock tires but it could spin those skinnies for a full block. I was driving a 2 bbl 265 Chevy power glide 56 Chevy. He was the class hero. So Nam happened which killed 4 years of real income. Then came kids, bills, and life. I built motors, ported heads for most of my life. Got a bad back that sidelined me ay 60. Had lots of cars and boats but always there was that image of that 63 boiling his tires. So times here. I’m 74 and it’s time for my dream car. I bought a 1963 Dodge Polara last week. It was a 318 car that had a 440/727 out of a 74 Winnebago installed. The owner had it since 07. I couldn’t get under it but I only found 1 rust spot in the drivers A pillar. Fixable. He wanted 18 I got it for 15. It made 80 miles then the driveshaft took a dump and I started smoking bad. Found out the shaft was 2 inches too short. Took out the tail shaft bushing. By the time I got it off the freeway 3rd was gone and 2 was chattering. Luckily I live a mile from Art Carr’s shop. 89 and still sharp. New shaft and a built trans with a 3k 11 inch TC. I have a 3row rad with 2 Spal fans and shroud. What’s next? Lol what ever breaks first. Love old iron. All I want is the brutal feel that a max wedge can do oh so well. When it’s done I just might go back to high school an do a Smokey burnout for old times sake.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard .. Those maxies were some neat cars! I love them, nice car! Enjoy your retirement one mile or quarter mile at a time!
Oh almost forgot congrats on retirement too !

Welcome from Michigan the Motor City! Nice car you have there, enjoy it! 440'

Love it .Really is a good looker.
Also love the stories that go with these old rides. Thanks !

Great Looking Car ! They are high on my List also !

Are you sure you're from LA. You seem to have it all together:thumbsup:
Beautiful car!

Thanks for posting. Thanks for your service. Enjoy the car. Look forward to more updates.

Thanks for posting. Thanks for your service. Enjoy the car. Look forward to more updates.
thinking the same thing.jpg
I say it all the time....
The stories and the history that go along with these cars are half their value, least to me.

welcome to FBBO nice looking polara also cool story

Nice ride. Enjoy the project.. I prefer the 63 Dodge over the Plymouth. However, I have a Plymouth that I am also making a Max Wedge tribute car.

20211002_103536_HDR.jpg

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario, Canada. Happy retirement from another young 74-year-old. Good looking '63 Polara. We did not have Polara's up there in Canada in 1963, and our top model line was the 440 series. But it was not like US. 440 in that it had Polara tail lights. Fifty years ago, I had Canadian 1963 440 4-door hardtop with factory bucket and shorty glove box like US. Polara 500, and a 1963 440 convertible. I wish I still had them. Our 1963 Dodge's had Plymouth interiors with the instrument panel with large round speedometer.

^^^^ Funny you say that. I always wanted a early Dodge.But Plymouth's seem to always follow me home !

Awesome! I've had my '63 330 since 1993 and just tinker with it here and there when I have time. Lots of fun!

20200301_195332.jpg Screenshot_20190908-161149.jpg Screenshot_20171106-072933.jpg

Welcome from Michigan, 63's are my favorite also.

Sounds like a great car - post some more pictures when you can. Re-living our youth is a lot of the fun of these old cars

Auto Transport Service
Back