• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Polara steering column bracket question

zigs

Local time
9:10 AM
Reaction score
When I got the car it was missing pieces to the main bracket. They had it jury rigged. I got the pieces needed but things aren't matching up. Manuals no help pictures are pour and no instructions. Is anyone at the stage that I can get good pictures with out you having to tear the dash apart. Looks simple enough. I've spent more time on this then tearing a rear end apart.

20230304_134724.jpg

My 64 Plymouth uses the piece shown in the right lower corner. I have to pull my column to remove the left header. So it's been out more than a few times. Itneeds a little persuasion to line up the 4 holes. Two of the studs are on the dash, two are part of the support bracket..
DougThe other pice on the left may be an upper bracket

I34.jpg

I15.jpg

My 64 Plymouth uses the piece shown in the right lower corner. I have to pull my column to remove the left header. So it's been out more than a few times. Itneeds a little persuasion to line up the 4 holes. Two of the studs are on the dash, two are part of the support bracket..

View attachment 1428273

View attachment 1428274
I have no studs on the dash or on brackets. Maybe thats why it was jury riged. I have everything else . Might have to elongate the holes to get it to line up.

View attachment 1428273

View attachment 1428274
The round clamp looks like its off a chain link fence but I was at a salvage yard that had a couple 64 Plymouth that had that clamp.
Must have been same family

65 with manual brake fitted together minus dash.

20230129_133655.jpg

20230129_133742.jpg

20230129_133936.jpg

No, 2 holes in the lower bracket go to that brace that holds the column. The other 2 holes in the lower bracket go to the dash itself. Look at my dash pic in post 2. You can see the right side dash stud.
Doug

I am working under the dash of my 1964 Polara right now. Hooking up wires, plumbing heater/defrosted hoses to Vintage Air, etc. My next project is putting the steering column back in. In working on this car and parting out a couple of others, I don't remember ever seeing that four hole bracket. My column attaches to the under dash brace with that strap clamp, and is held to the dash brace with a two hole bracket.

I am working under the dash of my 1964 Polara right now. Hooking up wires, plumbing heater/defrosted hoses to Vintage Air, etc. My next project is putting the steering column back in. In working on this car and parting out a couple of others, I don't remember ever seeing that four hole bracket. My column attaches to the under dash brace with that strap clamp, and is held to the dash brace with a two hole bracket.
That's what mine had. The manual shows having the four hole piece.
When I went to the yard I found a 64 Polara that had the four hole , it was laying on the floor board.
Next to it were a couple plymouths both had that ring clamp. Over the years things get misplaced and replaced but the manual does show that four hole saddle but drawing is very sketchy (no pun intended). After DVW'S pictures it was a piece of cake.

Auto Transport Service
Back