• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

`65 AWB Help Needed

sfkennedy

Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
I'm building a copy of one of the twelve factory `65 B-body altered wheelbase cars that Chrysler originally produced - before they were banned by NHRA. Trying to make the car an exact copy of the factory cars. Got the rear wheels relocated which was fairly easy but I'm struggling on how to approach the front end relocation. I've seen a lot of stuff on going with leaf springs but I want to stick with the original K-frame design. I've got a copy of the original Chrysler technical bulletin showing how the altered cars were built but the factory had access to fabricated jigs, partially complete bodies, etc. - a path I can't follow. I was wondering if anyone out there has done this and had any pictures, videos, etc. that they'd be willing to share. I'm pretty sure I could muddle my way through the build, but help from smarter people than me would be very beneficial!
Thanks,
Steve

Are you doing a dodge or Plymouth? A hardtop?

Steve - Try contacting Steve Magnante. He has a book and a DVD, and he'd probably respond to an email as well. http://stevemags.com/

And how about posting up some pics of your project? AWB cars are super cool in my book.

j c.jpgcheck out the book by jim schild

Attachments

• IMG_2505.jpg
    IMG_2505.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_2506.jpg
    IMG_2506.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_2487.jpg
    IMG_2487.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 443
  • 770.jpg
    770.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_2576.jpg
    IMG_2576.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_2521.jpg
    IMG_2521.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_2518.jpg
    IMG_2518.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 424
`65Plymouth Belvedere. Hardtop (all the factory AFX cars started with the hardtop model - maybe for sales reasons???)
Thanks,
Steve

- - - Updated - - -

Great pics!! Thanks for the info. BTW, all my relatives on my dad's side used to live in Long Island - many great memories of that area. Pretty much all of us have migrated south the TX....
Steve

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Have Jim's book and have met with him several times - great guy!
Steve

HI I have built 2 on my #3 I built flashback using the factory front suspension take look at arxer.com
we also helped steve with the vido you can contac me at 860 388 6838 thank bill

Bill,the weekend you invited me to play with you guys was one of the memorable weedend,right up there with my slip & slide at e/town for the Reunion:toothy1:

Attachments

• IMG_2482.jpg
    IMG_2482.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_2484.jpg
    IMG_2484.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_2527.jpg
    IMG_2527.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_2575.jpg
    IMG_2575.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_2525.jpg
    IMG_2525.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 380
First off, good luck on your build. The world needs more AWB cars. We also have an altered and you can link to my blog below for some tips on how we built ours if you like. If you're going with moving the K-frame then you will need longer torsion bars which can be tricky (expensive) to find but they're out there. Keep us posted.

you can find it on here poly1963

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?20375-my-63-2-door-conversion-alterd

Sled City Fiberglass makes all the body parts for the AWB Mopars

I spent 3 years and a lot of money researching the "Original" factory cars as I planned to duplicate a Coronet. For some reason those in the know are very secretive. I used Chrysler Imperial 50" torsion bars. I just milled the hex ends down to fit a B-Body. I got my fiberglass parts from sled City. I use the factory jigs for my front end. IMG_0248.jpgIMG_5708.jpg

Thanks for all the great feedback on my AFX project - spurred me to get back working on it this weeked. (My motto has been "when in doubt, procrastinate"). I had Firm Feel (I think) make a pait of the 51" torsion bars. A bit more expensive than their standard bars, but really not too bad. Just need to make sure they fit before making that last weld... Where did you get the FSD-1 and FSD-2 jigs? They sure look a lot like the ones shown in the Chrysler Technical Manual for the A/FX cars. Any other pics of your build would be terrific. Thanks again!! Steve

Bill,the weekend you invited me to play with you guys was one of the memorable weedend,right up there with my slip & slide at e/town for the Reunion:toothy1:
I remember seeing this car being built. It's last move was a burnout with a 318 3 speed manual, car was gold to start with. Buddy of mine built it in his plumbing shop.
Doug

b  body 65 bl windows.jpgb  body 65 bl windows.jpg
Steve - Try contacting Steve Magnante. He has a book and a DVD, and he'd probably respond to an email as well. http://stevemags.com/

And how about posting up some pics of your project? AWB cars are super cool in my book.

Here is my Altered Wheel Base B Body....pix taken in 1967 when I was 25 years old.

65AFX - can you send me your e-mail. Inadvertently left it along with a lot of stuff at the hotel in Carlisle - early age dementia, most likely. THANKS for all the great info on your car!
Steve

In addition to manual 4208.7 there was a full scale blue print (similar to the Hemi engine blueprint that Greg Lane sells) that came with the pallet of parts for guys doing their own conversion.

Auto Transport Service
Back