• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Satellite w/ 318 poly

Good points...
Steel crank.
Same rods as 340/360.
Can be bored to 4.000 and you can fit a 4.000 crank.
Best looking Valve Covers in the WORLD!!!:xscuseless:

poly eddy.jpg View attachment 1037305 PolyValveCoverOptions.png

Oh yes I just remembered jellyfied pistons?
Took a 440 apart a few weeks ago AND...

JELLYFIED pistons?
Looked like some sort of acid had been put in there, but the owner said NEVER!
I should have took some pics, it was spooky...:drama:

Liquid metal pistons and bores (T-1000)

pic_7076d54187445a00b7d70bdace39fe5f.jpg

If memory serves I think my poly has 340 rods in it - 360's though didn't fit...

340 & 360 use the same rod, 340 has extra machining for bushed small end..... Late 318 also uses the same rod... Early 318 use the small rod like a poly.... Going off memory so I'm not guaranteeing that but pretty sure... Been allot of years since I played with small blocks..

Last edited:
340 & 360 use the same rod, 340 has extra machining for bushed small end..... Late 318 also uses the same rod... Early 318 use the small rod lie a poly.... Going off memory so I'm not guaranteeing that but pretty sure... Been allot of years since I played with small blocks..
Thanks - my memory didn't serve me...lol

Wow, that is one gorgeous looking motor!
Yeah I wish it was in my car! It's a 392 stroker - I think it was going in a '63 Sport Fury. Not sure if it's been run yet as I've lost touch with the guy who owns it, but if it goes as good as it looks it will be some engine.

The third bolt hole is there, just not used.... First two bolt, second three bolt...
Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 6.03.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 6.04.03 PM.png

Pretty much exactly where I am with my poly. At my age, wasn't looking for a street screamer but woulda liked more gonads than it has. Sounds a lot meaner than it is with the headers and 3" exhaust (another mistake I let da shop tell me would be so nifty). I've rebuilt a couple motors in my time; but thought ok, I'll let a shop do this one and save me some time given all the other chit I was doing on the car. Nah - despite what I paid, more than I thought, to get a poly to scream takes more cash than I now think it would be worth that you'd get with a nice crate (aside from going BB). Damn, was so close to having one delivered to my garage! With the 3:55 gears, the car isn't a wonderful cruiser either running 3 grand around 65-70MPH. Suppose if I dropped the flowmasters it would help; but still cranking the rpm's. Should have left my 3:23's in it. The lower gearing did squat off the line in my pin. Think my wife's 6 cyl Sonata could beat me off the line. Regret? What gives ya this idea? lol
Oof sorry the shop pinched you out of some performance boss

If you are looking for big power with a poly maybe consider boost of some sort, turbocharger or a supercharger. Cost wise building a naturally aspirated 500hp poly 400 cu in motor probably would be more costly then a turbo set up.. Technology has really come along for turbos. We put a turbo on a 318 La twenty five years ago, it was probably 450-500hp most of the time depending on the boost. I don't recall seeing a turboed or supercharged poly engine before. :)
You think some of the other tweaks like trying to find an aggressive cam, porting the heads, milling the block, swapping out the crank, getting more of a dome piston should be done before getting it turbocharged? Or do you think I could get away without so many changes? And if I do go that route are all turbos the same? How do I even pick? I know that if boosting having a lower compression ratio tends to help so there’s no detonation issues. But what’s the sweet spot for boost? I’m learning so much from all of you. A side note, I’m hearing that a 383 big block might be the way to go when it comes to getting mopowa cost wise. Here’s the thing I can’t use the poly head on that since the poly is a small block 4 bolt head then the big block 5 bolt head. So at that point I’d have to completely change the build haha.

Great thread Mopowerbaby!
Been down this road a few times with Poly Pals, both 65 cars!
One went 542ci 440ci and the other went 402ci Poly...
Similar build costs around $5000-6000.
The Bigblock guy has 'raced and retired' since the ten years of starting out, the other guy is still not made it the track, also ten years in!
You can see him on Youtube under UK 402 Poly in 65 Fury. (Bearsey26)
Whats the moral of this story?
440 blocks are very easy to get and rebuild with a plethora of Ali heads etc....
Pollies are for Diehards and folks who want to stay original to the point of MADNESS!

I'm in the POLY CAMP too...SEMI HEMI soon to be full Hemi in the 65 Fury...

They look like supercool FIFTIES glamour, but still look cool in the 21st Century...:usflag:
I just want to make the mopar community proud.

Drawbacks of Poly 318-402 Power...
No aftermarket heads.
No decent camshafts.
No aftermarket rockers (off the shelf).
Custom pistons for good compression.
Only one aftermarket intake manifold from Poly Power at $650.
No single plane manifolds except a fifty year old Weiand also at $650.
Everything has to be done in the garage yourself, like 100 hours of head porting (per head).
Or you can pay $2800 for a cnc jobbie...
You can buy a set of ali hemi-heads for that sorta dough!
What about interchangeable parts from other engines? I thought you could get a cross ram intake manifold and slap it on a poly? I mean the rarity of a cross ram means it would be an expensive buy, but I’m still entertaining any and all ideas :)

Oh yes I just remembered jellyfied pistons?
Took a 440 apart a few weeks ago AND...

JELLYFIED pistons?
Looked like some sort of acid had been put in there, but the owner said NEVER!
I should have took some pics, it was spooky...:drama:

Liquid metal pistons and bores (T-1000)

View attachment 1037307
How much did it eat at your walls? Did it make the block useless?

Yes it did eat the walls and the pistons, shame really as it was a rebuilt running engine!
It needs a least three liners and new pistons now...
Some strange sort of chemical reaction that's why I thought it was acid or something to free up the rings?

Poly power is coolio but so little choice in the way of parts even now!
For all out power it has to be a 440, more Bang for the Buck!!!:thankyou:

Last edited:
Very interesting thread on the Poly engine. To cut to the chase, I always say that if you want more than 400-425 HP @ 5700RPM & 440-470TQ @ 3600RPM from the indigenous Poly in your Mopar then by all means go for the Big Block 440. The Torque is high & flat...about 400ft.lbs. at 2200rpm. You will be hard-pressed to get traction with a 390" (.030" overbore) Stroker Poly and the cost is reasonable & comparable to the LA build. Given, the intake/cam is more expensive but that appreciate cost increase must justify/satisy one's need for a unique and massive looking powerplant under your hood; 1.5" wider than a 440. The aforementioned HP/TQ is easily created & replicated each every time with many of the common LA parts 4" cast steel SCAT 340 Stroker crank (approx. $400), Eagle SIR LA rods (approx. $315)...SCAT is better IMHO, M72HV Oil Pump (...$85), all KING or Clevite rod/main/cam brgs, same .250" seamless pin dbl. roller timing set...the "rub" expense comes primarily with the intake selection but the best bang for the buck is to use the ancient but powerful factory dual quad intake...yes, the last factory dual quad build we did made 463TQ @ 3500rpm/468 peak TQ @ 4100rpm & 421HP @ 5500rpm...and these dual quads are plentiful and I have a friend selling one for a very reasonable $300. This 421HP/463TQ Poly Stroker engine has 9.5 compression/ported heads/284adv .510" lift ([email protected]") flat-tappet Poly Cam, TTI Headers...the basics. However, the Poly has a superior chamber design (polyspherical) to the Wedge motor (I also run a 340 Dart) and has an excellent BMEP cf with the HEMI and the Poly ports have extreme velocity w/o stall; up to 1" lift. Yet a paltry 210cfm intake/160cfm exhaust flow @ .500" yields the aforementioned power; although for the sake of exaggeration, we have a CNC program and other "hand-porting" techniques to get us up to and over 600HP & 580TQ if needed/wanted; see Buck Hinkle 426 Poly Stroker motor article. Yes, the camshafts are more expensive but you can circumvent that by regrinding your old cam core...now you just undercut the price of the LA HP Cam...although new HP Poly Cams are available as well as Poly Roller Cams...I have several...and the Poly Roller Cam is created by using the LA Round Lobe Billet Core...therefore same cost as the LA Roller Cam. You can also achieve the 400+HP & TQ using the stock 1.84/1.56 Poly valves...just need the porting expertise. OK...you will need custom Poly pistons; very reasonable from Auto Tech for approx. $650 a set....

Hi Gary P.
This is Rupert's good friend in the UK.
I will be taking on his ex-Fury POLY engine, which as you know is your wonderful(and his) 402ci that you helped to build over many years!
Not sure if Rupert has been in touch recently, (as you may not know) but we have Corona Virus in the UK now!
Its been quite virulent here in the South of England and we have been unable to leave our houses since March, but I digress...

He is stepping up to a 528ci Mopar performance hemi with Mopar ali heads etc.
So as it was me that sent him down the 'Poly-path' some ten years ago, it feels only right that I 'take up the banner'.
It will going into a very nice 66 Coronet and then sent to the famous 'Santa-Pod' raceway to compete against Ruperts bruv!
He has also got a Coronet also with a fresh build 318 and 727 for a 'face-off' lol.

It will be close 402ci Poly against 318 LA, but the POLY is so much more heavier lol.:rofl:

Hope all is well in sunny San Diego, as its cold and wet here in England...:drinks:

These are the Mods for the new Neilson .525 camshaft he got when he was last over, for dual spring Comps!

Poly seat mods for .525 cam.jpg Roosta Poly heads.jpg Poly valve seal mod.jpg

Last edited:
This was the 'other' engine we built when Rupert went 402ci poly!
542ci 440 engine, first one in the UK, back in the day lol.
If you look closely, you can see a row of bolts along the lower pan rail.
This was the first 'Program 4-bolt splayed maincap' ever done in the UK too...:fool:

Nick's 543 motor.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back