• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66/'67 Petty Belvedere tribute in CA

sxarnold

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:18 PM
Reaction score
I posted some of these pictures in my welcome thread but started a new thread for the build progress. My goal is to make the build as accurate as possible while making it barely streetable. As an example, I own two bath tub manifolds with a single NASCAR 4bbl but they prefer 5K+ RPMs, not street friendly. So this is a balance; show the bath tub, drive the dual quads.
As the real car is a Franken-car (mix and match), mine tries to match Petty's HoF version by collecting the correct '66/'67 parts.
'66 Belvedere start car from TX
'66 street Hemi rebuilt by BES Racing Engines, dyno'd 508HP/494ftlb torque
'66 A-833 rebuilt
'67 Dana 60 located in Canada and rebuilt by SF Differential
Hemi front end located locally
Bendix rebuilt front disc brakes located in Northern CA
Roll cage duplicated in detail
Petty blue color took 4 months to duplicate so it looks correct in sun/shade/clouds
All Stewart Warner gages are date code correct with their ink stamps
The car has been 4 years in the collecting of the right parts and the build to this point. More updates as we progress

IMG_0735.jpg IMG_0736.jpg IMG_0737.jpg IMG_0734.jpg IMG_0682.jpg IMG_0680.jpg IMG_0689.jpg

It's been a year so I thought I'd provide an update on the Petty tribute build. Completed the rear deck mini spoiler, relocated the fuel filler to the correct location, acquired a period correct Moody-Holman fuel cell and filler and installed it into the spare tire well, found a NOS period correct LeMans NASCAR single 4bbl carb so I switched away from the dual quads to the correct single 4bbl, located a number of parts from a former 426 hemi racing garage in the Ohio area including the Cotton Owens long tube headers and got the 10" rubber tucked into the flared rear quarter panels. This was a bit of great work by Matt at Classics of Santa Cruz. There is no metal cut nor added to the outside fenders and no tubbing. He cut the wheel wells and inserted triangles front and rear inside the wheel well, then filled the 2" gap from the fender "bulge" with a hoop within the wheel well itself. Total old school and the way they did it in '67. Final picture is the car on the rotisserie on it's way to body and paint.

Cotton Owens headers.jpg Cowl induction.jpg heading out.jpg Holmes Moody fuel cell.jpg rear dech wing 2.jpg rear deck wing.jpg relocated fuel filler.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back