• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Belvedere II Hemi Project

Lines are all on and done. Lost and found my hemi wiring harness I had misplaced. I'm putting the harness on, then the electrical panel and then the booster and master cylinder.
I ordered new shoes, hardware kit, adjuster kit and an axle seal. Right side was full of axle grease.

Got the relay panel on and bought a new horn relay and starter relay for it. I have all the old stuff. I mounted the metering block as I was able to get to it after removing the header and the starter. Also got all but one vox of parts for the rear drum brakes, so I assembled the right rear. More tomorrow.

Got the axle out on the passenger side which was a bitch. I have to figure out why it was stuck in there and fix it and replace the seal. I got the kickdown linkage on the 440, and I realized I need to work on my painting skills. Got the leaking freeze plug out as well. Need to get it replaced, then put the starter on and header back on.
I have to move the control module as the repo harness plug doesn't reach where it's at currently.

Sorry, old habits, ignition module for factory electronic ignition. Not having the hemi in there, it's hard to judge where on the firewall to mount it.
I always mount it on top of the passenger side front frame rail, under the horns. I run the ECU wiring up to the distributor with the horn/alternator wiring. This way, it is almost invisible. I don't like seeing an otherwise nicely restored car with that ugly orange box on the firewall. My $0.02.

I always mount it on top of the passenger side front frame rail, under the horns. I run the ECU wiring up to the distributor with the horn/alternator wiring. This way, it is almost invisible. I don't like seeing an otherwise nicely restored car with that ugly orange box on the firewall. My $0.02.
Unfortunately, this harness already has the plug made into it. I may just temp mount it for now. I may switch it up eventually and just run a petronix in the hemi dual point. Not sure right now, but I agree, those boxes are ugly unless they are on there from the factory.

Any pics of the car or a back story ? Or am I to late to the party the thread starts out with pics of heater hose brackets?

Any pics of the car or a back story ? Or am I to late to the party the thread starts out with pics of heater hose brackets?
Sorry. I pulled it out of the same barn my coronet 500 came out of. It's led a hard life, been stripped of all things hemi, unfortunately. It's had a shoddy resto done in the 90s looks like. Here are some pics when I first got it after we pulled it out of the barn a year ago.
20210621_233331.jpg
20210621_233346.jpg
20210621_233358.jpg
20210621_233431.jpg
20210621_233437.jpg

After 45 minutes to an hour of f@#*ing with this thing, I finally got the freeze out plug in. Had to use the install tool, but the handle wasn't long enough so I had to use a chisel flipped over to extend it out far enough I could get a hammer on it. After it flipping all over the place and cleaning the plug off and reapplying the sealant over and over,I finally got it started in. Used a couple different combos of adapters to get it seated into the hole. Glad that's over. Got the rear axle seal swapped out and figured out what caused that to be such a bitch to get out, they sealed the race into the housing with what appears to be permatex 1 or something similar. I used a wire wheel on a drill to get it cleaned up. Housing is a little corroded as a result
20220923_122335.jpg

You are showing the prime example of why it takes more time, ingenuity etc to work on old stuff. When you are dealing with items that are like a senior citizen with osteoporosis or previous shoddy repair/maintenance, its a massive time suck. It always cracks me up when you get some clueless wanker who whines, "Its an old car. Why does it cost so much for ...". Looking good there my friend.

Thanks for the pics that’s a very cool car I had to see it :)

You are showing the prime example of why it takes more time, ingenuity etc to work on old stuff. When you are dealing with items that are like a senior citizen with osteoporosis or previous shoddy repair/maintenance, its a massive time suck. It always cracks me up when you get some clueless wanker who whines, "Its an old car. Why does it cost so much for ...". Looking good there my friend.
Thanks! There have been many a choice word rambling out of the garage the past few months. Especially this week. They are getting there.

Thanks! There have been many a choice word rambling out of the garage the past few months. Especially this week. They are getting there.
When you do it yourself good or bad You did it and a lot of people can't say that.

Well, just hit yet another snag. At least the damn thing runs again. I'm done for the night. I'll update when it won't make me throw up in my mouth talking about it.

I was working late in the shop last night, weather went from 92 on Wednesday to 67 on Thursday and 65 on Friday, so it was decent working weather, and I was hoping to get this wrapped up. I got all the engine wiring and stuff hooked up,heater hoses,etc, so I decided to start it up. I got in and hit the key, nothing. Went to the relay board, and since nothing is marked and I didn't have an old one to go buy, I had the ignition and horn wires switched, lol. I swapped them and it cranked over and eventually started. I shut it off as I still needed to put coolant in it. I dug my fresh booster out that Booster dewey redid for me and slid it into place. I climbed under the dash and got the 3 nuts back on, still need to come up with one more, but that's what it had when it came in. I got out from under there and scoped out how it looked under the hood, and that's when **** went south. I thought, man that looks awful close to the relay panel, so I grabbed the MC and tried to slip it on. Crap! Nothing some red label Weller couldn't handle.
20220923_204713.jpg

Thanks to Richard Cranium and Fran, I think I have a solution. I'm going to try it after while.

Auto Transport Service
Back