• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Belvedere II... no heat

John Burns

Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
This Bell had factory AC and it has been largely removed - no evidence of it in the engine compartment at least. It still has the ac box under the dash and I know 2 of the actuators don't work. Has anyone ever manually forced the actuators open (or closed) so it will provide heat? I understand there is a bypass valve on the heater core, but I can't really see it. I'm assuming one of these actuators will open that.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Thanks!

I'm not sure if this applies, but when I first got my '70 the heater control didn't work (broken cable?). I used to just flip a lever over the air box near the passenger seat. You can reach it with your hand and it worked...."hope" this helps.

I'm not sure if this applies, but when I first got my '70 the heater control didn't work (broken cable?). I used to just flip a lever over the air box near the passenger seat. You can reach it with your hand and it worked...."hope" this helps.

Thanks! I was able to do that to at least keep the cold fresh air from coming in. But on the other side of the fan, I think there is a door that is closed preventing the fan from blowing through the heater core. And I believe whichever actuator does that must also open the heater core bypass valve. I need to see one of these pulled apart to understand what is happening. There seems to be many different heater / ac boxes for the different models of B-Bodies!

I can't find any photos of a Belvedere II box. Maybe someone has restored one that has photos?

I might have figured this out: pages 24-2 to 24-4 of the 1966 Plymouth Service Manual!

Problem solved!!! The Bell has a 4286899 water pump housing. I think this is an early MOPAR aluminum housing that has been superseded buy a couple of different numbers. My buddy had it on a race car (no heat) previously. There is a hole drilled and tapped for the front heater hose nipple, but it was a BLIND HOLE! This MOPAR stuff is gonna kill me... :). A quick stab with a drill bit and now we have heat!

Auto Transport Service
Back