• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet 500 Driver, Light Resto

Yes it's there but it was cracked. As soon as the engine fired up the first time a chunk went flying off. I'm going to use epoxy to put it back together.

So last night I went over to a friends house who was struggling with a sniper efi install on his 68 Charger. My friend Neil and I went over and started fixing the things that weren't correct. About an hour and a half later and she was running. I need to go back and dial in the tune for him but it should be drivable for now.
Anyway, I was telling him about my issues with the fan clutch and he asked, you need a fan clutch, here! He had a brand new fan and clutch that came with the car. He's going electric so he didn't need it. I'm going to go out and match it up in a few. I'll snap some pics as well.

The sun does shine once in a while!

Your cracked exhaust manifold: what is the number on it?

I think that I had a few sets and perhaps one drivers side is good. I would epoxy that, but you can weld cast iron in the right circumstances.

Well, decided to take the bolts out of the clutch and separate it from the fan. I was able to get it loose by lifting it upward and out. Radiator is a little worse for wear, but it'll work. New one is almost as long as the one I took off. The fan shroud has to come off in order to get the fan out so I'm going to do that and then dry test the new clutch. If it gives me 1/2" more between the radiator and clutch face, I'm going to run it. I'm putting all the belts on with everything out of the way, too. Can't wait to get this done. Going to have to wait til later or early tomorrow as it is just too hot in the shop right now.
20220614_111051.jpg
20220614_111646.jpg

Well, decided to take the bolts out of the clutch and separate it from the fan. I was able to get it loose by lifting it upward and out. Radiator is a little worse for wear, but it'll work. New one is almost as long as the one I took off. The fan shroud has to come off in order to get the fan out so I'm going to do that and then dry test the new clutch. If it gives me 1/2" more between the radiator and clutch face, I'm going to run it. I'm putting all the belts on with everything out of the way, too. Can't wait to get this done. Going to have to wait til later or early tomorrow as it is just too hot in the shop right now. View attachment 1298729View attachment 1298730
ck with your local dealer . The fan shroud WAS still avail thru Mopar pt # 2785434 or try P2785434

At least it was a few years ago . They are all over ebay so my gut tells me still avail

The sun does shine once in a while!

Your cracked exhaust manifold: what is the number on it?

I think that I had a few sets and perhaps one drivers side is good. I would epoxy that, but you can weld cast iron in the right circumstances.
I don't believe the manifold is cracked? When I get it off I'll post up pics and part number.

ck with your local dealer . The fan shroud WAS still avail thru Mopar pt # 2785434 or try P2785434

At least it was a few years ago . They are all over ebay so my gut tells me still avail
As luck would have it, I had ordered a new one for the hemi and it's the same as this one. So I have a new one and I'll be at a dealer tomorrow and try to order another one or two, depending on price.

Last edited:
So, FTMFL, I got the shroud off, fan out and tried the new fan clutch, it is about 1/4" shorter so I could get it over the waterpump nub, but alas, the hole in the back of the clutch is too small to fit over the nub. I called napa, they'll have one tomorrow morning.
While working on it, I noticed there was what looked like coolant on the floor, yep, I nicked the radiator. Dammit! I need to pull it, clean it and solder it up. Just more work. It sucks. All over 2 worn out belts.

Ordered one today! Same as the one I got from Jim's.

So I ordered an aluminum radiator from ebay. It's supposed to be identical to the original radiator but aluminum. It comes painted black. I figured I am building this to drive, so upgrade anything I find that is lacking or broken. I'm dying to drive this thing. This is what I bought. Someone else on here recommended this to me.
1966-1972 Mopar B & E Body Aluminum 26" Radiator Road Runner Challenger Cuda | eBay

Last edited:
So, I'm having a hard time finding a fan clutch that doesn't hit the radiator but still fits over the water pump nub.
Also, should I get original style upper and lower radiator hoses and clamps? Or should I just get std replacements? I'm leaning towards originals, but having a hard time finding a 66 bb upper hose. I found the lower but not the upper. I wonder if the 67 would work? I think it should, but not sure.

Whats the thermostat hsg look / shaped like ?

I just put this one on my 67 with air .
You need a hose that exits to the pass side to clear the ac compressor and brackets

Gates ( same as Continental ) #60664

60664-GATES-Upper.jpg

So I ordered an aluminum radiator from ebay. It's supposed to be identical to the original radiator but aluminum. It comes painted black. I figured I am building this to drive, so upgrade anything I find that is lacking or broken. I'm dying to drive this thing. This is what I bought. Someone else on here recommended this to me.
1966-1972 Mopar B & E Body Aluminum 26" Radiator Road Runner Challenger Cuda | eBay
I hope thats a flipped / mirror image . Hose connections are on the wrong side upper and lower for a big block car

I hope thats a flipped / mirror image . Hose connections are on the wrong side upper and lower for a big block car
I hope so too. I ordered the one for a big block. They have ones for small blocks too. Hope this one is correct or it's going back.
I'll go uo to NAPA and order the upper and lower hoses. I couldn't find anyone that had a repro ac upper hose.

Here are the upper and lower hoses I got for my 66 361 with A/C.

IMG_20220618_165654953.jpg

Nope, thanks to you I was able to cancel the order. Even tho they listed it as a bb radiator. They said they didn't have the tanks. I told them to let me know when they got the right tanks in and I'd buy one from them. Appreciate you looking out for me.

I decided to go ahead and try the petronics 2 distributor in this BB. I am not impressed. From the GM cap and rotor to the GM style base, I just think it is too big for no reason. I didn't have to grind anything but the wiring harness runs down the manifold edge of the valve cover and I had to stretch it out of the way to clear the GM cap.
I got it in and started it up. Seemed to run a lot smoother, so happy about that.
I am going to go with Sniper EFI and Sniper ignition so I can computer control the timing, too. So this distributor is short lived anyway. It'll be up for sale on here when I'm done with it.
I also got the PS belt on and tightened up. The book called for one 2 sizes too big, so NAPA guy matched it up and got the right length belt. Tightened it up and that's done. Alt belts seem to be working good.
I called Megaparts about their repop viscous drive for my fan on Friday. I asked him how long it was from base to the front so I could see if it will give me enough fan to radiator clearance. He said he was busy and if he had time over the weekend he'd get one out and measure it for me. I said ok, tttyl. So I call today after not hearing from them over the weekend, no biggie being Junteenth and all. Kidding, Father's Day. I called today and he was busy filling orders from the weekend. Hopefully I'll know tomorrow. He seems like a really good guy.
Fixing the radiator and getting the proper sized fan clutch on it is the last thing before driving it. I really hope he looks for me tomorrow.
20220622_101632.jpg
20220622_101622.jpg

Last edited:
I could have used the original points ignition distributor and converted it, but the original is completely worn out and would have just caused issues.

So hats off to Zach at Mega Parts, he got back with me and their repopped fan clutch for bb ac is 2.75" long. The one I had was 3.75" long. This should work perfectly so I can replace belts if necessary without pulling radiator, shroud, etc. I will post pics of the differences when it arrives. I need to get the radiator out and solder up the tubes I grazed open. I think at that point everything I can do from the top is about done. I still need to figure out which ground is bad causing all my electrical issues on the dash.

Auto Transport Service
Back