• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet 500 Hemi

Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how many 66 Coronet 500 Hemi cars were made? Found one(roller) with silver exterior and black top and interior. Any idea how much it's worth minus the motor and trans?

They made 204 4 speeds an 135 automatics.

Value will be determine by the condition and completeness. A good conition date code correct Hemi oil pan to air cleaner can cost as much as $15-20K. Most people find the cost to finished value for a car without the engine to be cost prohibitive unless they are sitting on a date code correct Hemi for a 66/67 car.

If you have detailed pictures of the car post them and people will be able to give you a better idea.

Not without knowing the condition. And a 66 coronet may be second only to a 66-67 Charger as having the lowest value of all the Hemi cars

Not without knowing the condition. And a 66 coronet may be second only to a 66-67 Charger as having the lowest value of all the Hemi cars

I REALLY don't understand the lack of respect for the 1966 Hemi cars since they were the first model year B-Body cars to have the Street Hemi's as an option. :frustrated:

Richard

What they have working for them is the fact they ARE the first year for the Street Hemi. What works against them is the really flat nose (IMHOA). The thing is, if ya like a 66, then that works in your favor when you're looking to buy.

Personally I'd be thrilled to have a nice 66 Hemi car done.......or just Agent J done:rolling:

The big thing is they compete with the 68-70 B bodies that are easily identified as performance cars with stripes and hood scoops. I talk to many people that like the general body lines of the 66-67 cars, but want more of the "in your face I AM A PERFORMANCE CAR" look rather than the street sleeper family car look.

I just spoke to a San Diego guy last night that has a Black on Black 66 Coronet 500 Hemi auto car that says he can't get an offer over $45K for it. Restored, nice, (not rotess.) car. Of course he won't sell it for that. Everybody says the values are way back down on these 66-67 cars but I have yet to see anyone actually SELL a nice one for that kind of money. People are just holding them. As this guy and I discussed, you could not buy a nice body, build an original date code correct Hemi and refurbish it for $45K and I don't care how much of the work you do yourself.

What they have working for them is the fact they ARE the first year for the Street Hemi. What works against them is the really flat nose (IMHOA). The thing is, if ya like a 66, then that works in your favor when you're looking to buy.

Personally I'd be thrilled to have a nice 66 Hemi car done.......or just Agent J done:rolling:

Hi Tem,

Well, if we are going to hold the "flat nose" styling against the 66-67 cars, then we are going to have to hold it against LOTS of other later model year Mopar's as well.

I think the main thing that lots of enthusiasts that haven't owned one hold against the 66-67 cars, is the lack of stripes, wings, nose cones, fresh air hood packages and other similar flash that came on the 68 and up cars. After all, a 426 Hemi and a 4 speed transmission, along with a Dana 60 with 4.10 gears is going to be awesome no matter what body it's in right? I personally love ALL Mopar's, no matter what year or body style they are, but I guess that I'm in the minority.:(

Richard

The big thing is they compete with the 68-70 B bodies that are easily identified as performance cars with stripes and hood scoops. I talk to many people that like the general body lines of the 66-67 cars, but want more of the "in your face I AM A PERFORMANCE CAR" look rather than the street sleeper family car look.

I agree. I also think the styling on the 66 Coronet is kind of blah too. The 67 Coronet is not my favorite but I think it looks better than the 66. The grille just looks way too tall and boxy to me. To me, the 66 and 67 Coronets just don't have the sexy sizzle that other years and models have.

Plus, '66 was the largest year of Hemi production so 66s are not as rare as other years which helps keep the price down compared other Hemi years.

Well I guess it just depends on the price of the 66 Coronet Hemi roller wether it's worth buying or not. I should know something by tomorrow if we can get to look at it then. If it's not a rust bucket whats a good ball park figure of worth?

I just spoke to a San Diego guy last night that has a Black on Black 66 Coronet 500 Hemi auto car that says he can't get an offer over $45K for it. Restored, nice, (not rotess.) car. Of course he won't sell it for that. Everybody says the values are way back down on these 66-67 cars but I have yet to see anyone actually SELL a nice one for that kind of money. People are just holding them. As this guy and I discussed, you could not buy a nice body, build an original date code correct Hemi and refurbish it for $45K and I don't care how much of the work you do yourself.

I fully Agree. :yes:

I enjoy my bla 66 coronet 440. The flat front still lets it run a mid 10 second pass and there are not alot of them at shows and cruise nights. It is a great car for what they were. Hey bankerstory, What do you think

I enjoy my bla 66 coronet 440. The flat front still lets it run a mid 10 second pass and there are not alot of them at shows and cruise nights. It is a great car for what they were. Hey bankerstory, What do you think

I'm with you 110 percent! I've owned several different later model B-Body cars, a couple of 70 E-Body cars and fully restored my son's 72 A-Body car and I really liked all of them, but my 66 Coronet 500 ranks right at the top of my "favorites" list. :yes: I've driven it on the street, drag raced the crap out of it, won lots of awards at car shows with it and it's been a fantastic car since 1989 when I bought it. Many other cars and trucks have come and gone, but my trusty 66 is still with me, so I guess that they are just one of those cars that you either LOVE, or you don't. To me, being a Mopar enthusiasts is all about being DIFFERENT from the rest and like you mentioned, when you pull into an event in a 66 Coronet, you usually don't have to park your car next to 50 others that look similar to your car and I like that. :)

By the way, yourr black 66 is SWEEEEEEEET!!! :yes:

Richard

I think you guys misunderstood what I meant. I wasn't saying that "I" didn't like them because of the flat nose. What I was saying was I think people that don't like them don't like them because of the nose.

I like 62 Dodges, but don't really care for a 62 Plymouth. Go to 63 and that reverses. 64 is a toss up as is 65. 66 I'd rather have a Plymouth than a Dodge. 67 is again a toss. But all that said I'd own any of them given the right circumstances.

I was simply posting my reasons/observations of why there is a value/desire for one group over another.

I am not saying I dislike 66/67 cars, look at my signature I OWN one. The 1966 Coronet 500 2 door hardtop is ONE of my favorite cars even over a 67 as It seems to have a more petite look to it.

I own a stripped model boxey 2 door sedan, which is something I would NEVER buy except for the fact that it is a HEMI car sleeper type. There are many different reasons a particular car can attract my love for it.

66 car potential

All things being equal the production numbers of 1966 cars keep valuations down, and have been for decades. I recall 66 hemi's in the late 80's going for half of what a 68 car would go for.
Your discription gave one very important clue to a desirable car though, SILVER color. This makes 'it' compared to powder blue or light yellow or worse yet beige. Unusual combos like silver with red interior, champaige green and red interior, and the classic black with red interior, set some cars apart.

If you decide to get the car know full well it will take a large time and money commitment to restore. Original look and parts but not neccessarily date coded parts enhance future value. Most important, dont figure on any big price inflation in next 5 years to bail you out of a 'spend anything' mentality on restoration.

I agree. I also think the styling on the 66 Coronet is kind of blah too. The 67 Coronet is not my favorite but I think it looks better than the 66. The grille just looks way too tall and boxy to me. To me, the 66 and 67 Coronets just don't have the sexy sizzle that other years and models have.

Plus, '66 was the largest year of Hemi production so 66s are not as rare as other years which helps keep the price down compared other Hemi years.

ouch! glad I got bad stroker and the banker to help me soften the blow.

Picture 305 (Medium).jpg

Yep, daredevil's bright orange 66 Coronet and my bright yellow 66 Coronet, along with 1badstroker's bad azzed mid 10 second 66 Coronet are sure the "sleeper family style looking cars" if I've ever seen one! :sigh: How much more "in your face" can we get?

All I can say to folks who have negative things to say about the 66-67 B-Body cars, or ANY other vintage Mopar vehicles for that matter, is to each his or her own, but why say something negative about a body style that several of the members on this web site own? Even if I thought somebody's car sucked, I would have the class to keep my thoughts to myself, but that's just me. I don't give a damn if someones car is powered by a slant six or a Hemi, or what body style or model year it is, if it was built by Chrysler, I like it and I respect the cars owner for keeping it out of the junk yard and around for others to appreciate.

Richard

Auto Transport Service
Back