• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet "day 2" type while/tire mod

dammstrate

Local time
12:40 PM
Reaction score
I have a 66 Coronet Hemi tribute. Currently stock 14x7 on redline bias plys all around. I want to do a steelie "day 2" weekend drag car look on the back. I have spent the last hour on this site reviewing tire/wheel combo threads, with lots of similar, but slightly different recommendations. I think I "want" to do this: 15x8, 5x4 1/2 bolt, 275/60/15, 4 1/2 backspacing. I have found threads where this tire and wheel fit a pure stock 66 Coronet. Others say some rubbing in some conditions. The other wheel choices are 15x7 with a 255, but that seems too small width, and that has a 4" backspacing only available. So....

15x8 with 4 1/2" backspace on 275s
or
15x7 with 4" backspace on 255s
or
15x8 with 4" backspace on 255s

I want NO problems I have to further mod around. What's the concensus?

I have 15x8 wheels with 4 3/4 backspacing. 275/60/15 and no rubbing. Did have to roll the inner wheel lip.

I have 15x8 wheels with 4 3/4 backspacing. 275/60/15 and no rubbing. Did have to roll the inner wheel lip.
@Aron Gleason How high has the rear of the car been raised from the factory height? What springs and shocks do you have? Park on flat ground and measure to the bottom of the rear bumper.[/USER]

Last edited:
Stock ride height.
20210711_115419.jpg

If the back was an inch or so higher, 15x7 with 4 1/8 to 4 3/4 backspacing, a 275/60-15 will fit. Tight, but fit

I can't help with first hand info, never owned a 66/67, but 15x8, 4.5 bs seems to work for lots of applications. I know the 66/67 wheelwell is tight.
I'm curious what wheel you are looking at.
(Needless to say, keep the redlines and doggies in proper storage too!)

I have a 66 Coronet Hemi tribute. Currently stock 14x7 on redline bias plys all around. I want to do a steelie "day 2" weekend drag car look on the back. I have spent the last hour on this site reviewing tire/wheel combo threads, with lots of similar, but slightly different recommendations. I think I "want" to do this: 15x8, 5x4 1/2 bolt, 275/60/15, 4 1/2 backspacing. I have found threads where this tire and wheel fit a pure stock 66 Coronet. Others say some rubbing in some conditions. The other wheel choices are 15x7 with a 255, but that seems too small width, and that has a 4" backspacing only available. So....

15x8 with 4 1/2" backspace on 275s
or
15x7 with 4" backspace on 255s
or
15x8 with 4" backspace on 255s

I want NO problems I have to further mod around. What's the concensus?

You have to keep in mind that wheel is 1" wider then the advertised size. An 8" wheel is 9" wide, 7" is 8" wide. So your example 15x8 with 4 1/2" BS is called "zero offset" so is the 15x7 4" BS BUT the 8" has 4 1/2" of wheel on both sides while the 7" has 4" of wheel on both sides so the 8" is 1/2" closer to stuff both inside and outside. The 15x8 with 4" BS will really put the wheel out towards the fender-5"
On my 63 Fury I'm pretty certain I could fit 295 tires but would need 15x8 with 5" back space to stay away from fender lip

@Aron Gleason How high has the rear of the car been raised from the factory height? What springs and shocks do you have? Park on flat ground and measure to the bottom of the rear bumper.[/USER]
I have super stock leaf springs on the car. It raised the rear an inch. Shocks are competition engineering drag shocks.

If steel wheels are what your after, 15x7 with the 4 3/8 backspace. 275(or if your nervous 255)/60-15's.

Paint the rear wheels half and half. That was the look back then. Way cool.

The steelie choices from Classic Industries are:
15x8 with 4 1/2" backspace
15x8 with 4" backspace
15x7 with 4" backspace

Probably leave the hubcaps off.

The steelie choices from Classic Industries are:
15x8 with 4 1/2" backspace
15x8 with 4" backspace
15x7 with 4" backspace

Probably leave the hubcaps off.

Why go thru a middleman? Go to Wheel Vintique and you can special order the exact BS you need

But you will not find a steel wheel that will accept the correct dogdish hubcap. They only make wheels for the 9 inch cap , not the correct 10 inch cap. The Wheelsmith has the correct wheels in their Mopar section.

Frank

On my 66 Satellite I put Torque Thrust 15x8 with 4.5 B.S. and
Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Tires 6640 which are 28x10 with zero problems.

Ron

66Satellite114.jpg

Paint the rear wheels half and half. That was the look back then. Way cool.

No doubt...However, it takes A LOT of time to properly mask the wheel to prep for painting. Here is one of mine, still in the paint booth.

wheel.jpeg

Are those steel wheels? I've been looking over rims to put wider slicks under my car and not finding anything with the offset I want. Best is zero, then most run into negative offset.

Are those steel wheels? I've been looking over rims to put wider slicks under my car and not finding anything with the offset I want. Best is zero, then most run into negative offset.
I'm running crager 61c wheels. And I sent the wheels to Stockton wheels to get the backspacing changed.

Pretty much a custom job to get them to fit then. Thanks!

Auto Transport Service
Back