• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet factory disk brakes

Joe Andrews

Local time
6:53 PM
Reaction score
I didn’t know the front brakes on my 66 Coronet would be this hard to find! I’m in the process of ordering everything to rebuild my front suspension when I do my motor swap and have found out my rotors are not a easy part to find! I’ve found updated one piece rotors on jegs website but they have bad reviews, classic industries doesn’t show anything unless I order a kit. Does anyone know where to get rotors

I didn’t know the front brakes on my 66 Coronet would be this hard to find! I’m in the process of ordering everything to rebuild my front suspension when I do my motor swap and have found out my rotors are not a easy part to find! I’ve found updated one piece rotors on jegs website but they have bad reviews, classic industries doesn’t show anything unless I order a kit. Does anyone know where to get rotors

They look like the same rotors as Jegs has. I’ll probably order the one piece rotors and hope I get lucky

That brake system is expensive to buy parts for, they work well. Have you considered an aftermarket system?

That brake system is expensive to buy parts for, they work well. Have you considered an aftermarket system?
I was just planning on putting new rotors on the car with the suspension rebuild just to have everything new till I found out they are so expensive, I’ll probably have them cut and figure out what the plan is later

I don't believe disc brakes were a factory option on a 66 b-body?

Look up Craig (Mobile Parts) a member that deals with lots of NOS Mopar parts.
He may have something.

I remember being a young fella in High School, working after school at a service station when I saw my first set of Disc brakes, I believe on a Camaro... I remember saying, " this will never take off" .....LOL

They were available
mc.JPG
. If they are disc they have a special master cylinder reservoir. @Joe Andrews the single master if it's there is worth some decent bucks.

I wouldn't cut them unless they are pulsating.

I'm doing the same job on my 1966 Coronet. Someone installed manual disc brakes up front which were in sad shape. I tried to find caliper rebuilding kits with no luck so the next step was to find rebuilt calipers. For my car, there was no clear answer until I searched on the part number cast into the caliper. Turns out that they were from a 1976 Duster (plus other cars). I finally found rebuilt calipers through Napa, at a reasonable price. My rotors are Ok so it will be just repacking the bearings and putting in new seals, (also 1976 Duster) through Napa. Not sure if this helps you but in my case finally figuring out the original application helped the process a lot. Napa turned out to be able to source the stuff without too much trouble and were cheaper than the online parts guys. Hopefully today I will get the calipers installed and the front brake lines plumbed.

Not turning rotors when putting on fresh pads is a very bad idea. It decreases the swept area by the surface not being smooth and flat/parallel with the pads. Pad slapping is what we call this in the auto repair business, and most complaints are it takes more pressure to stop and longer stopping distances. Not things we want in our valuable classics. Jmho. Have your rotors turned by a competent machine shop, not some kid at the bargain parts store.

Yes, Used the same single pot master cylinder like any other 66, just had a taller pot to accommodate the fluid requirements

If the brakes are original 66 (fairly rare) and the rotors are not available or very expensive. What is the logic in turning them down and reducing the service life if they are running true. That's why I wouldn't thin them more than they are for no reason.
I've messed with these cars for 50 years now. Throwing Detroit parts in the garbage and replacing them with Chinese parts that wear twice as fast or are not in spec out of the box is not always the answer. I had to install new drums on my 1970 sweptline to get it to pass safety, the Chinese/Napa drums were 1/4" out of round out of the box and the only ones available. I installed them, passed safety and then took the truck home and threw them in the garbage, typical these days. Of course you couldn't drive the truck with these drums on the front but it passed safety.

If the brakes are original 66 (fairly rare) and the rotors are not available or very expensive. What is the logic in turning them down and reducing the service life if they are running true. That's why I wouldn't thin them more than they are for no reason.
I've messed with these cars for 50 years now. Throwing Detroit parts in the garbage and replacing them with Chinese parts that wear twice as fast or are not in spec out of the box is not always the answer. I had to install new drums on my 1970 sweptline to get it to pass safety, the Chinese/Napa drums were 1/4" out of round out of the box and the only ones available. I installed them, passed safety and then took the truck home and threw them in the garbage, typical these days. Of course you couldn't drive the truck with these drums on the front but it passed safety.
Hey, it's your car, your safety. They don't run 'true', they heat up in an uneven manner which causes warping and hot spots. Also, the surface may look flat and smooth, but throw a dial indicator on it and a rotor mic in a bunch of places. My principle is sound, however I get your point with not being able to find rotors. Just use an aggressive pad that will burnish in quickly. That will at least give you some stopping power.

Auto Transport Service
Back