• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66 Great Dale House car built on Coronet chassis on BAT

XS22J8R

Local time
7:36 AM
Reaction score
Here's one for the Mopar collector who thought he had everything!
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-great-dale-house-car-1965-dodge-coronet/
https://housecar.com/

Great Dale.JPG

I have mixed feelings about that.

People mistakenly think these were "barn builds" or other such nonsense. You could get this style on many different platforms. Early Toronado, Cadillac commercial chassis from about 1958 through the late '70s, even Chryslers were used in the late '50s and early '60s. In the '60s, there were at least five different manufacturers of such RVs.

But this Coronet really intrigues me. Yes, I'd drive it and yes, I'd use it as intended.

I'm wondering what the whole rig weighs and if those tires are up to the task. Not crazy about the "cassette toilet".

I'm wondering what the whole rig weighs and if those tires are up to the task. Not crazy about the "cassette toilet".
That article I attached under the BAT auction link on these said their weight was close to that of the stock sedans they were built on, so the added camper component weighed similar to the body and interior components that were removed in the build.

You'd have the only one in the neighborhood/city or state at a min....

Kind of cool, but I'm not sure I'd want it...

If I did, I'd surely drive it & tow with it...
If it had brakes & hitch, enough to do the job...

I found pictures of the 66 Charger camper. This would solve that rear lift issue first gen Chargers were having at speed on the Nascar tracks!

1966-dodge-charger-camper-is-the-vintage-muscle-motorhome-you-never-knew-existed-202302_1.jpg

1966-dodge-charger-camper-is-the-vintage-muscle-motorhome-you-never-knew-existed_2.jpg

1966-dodge-charger-camper-is-the-vintage-muscle-motorhome-you-never-knew-existed_3.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back