• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Hemi Charger on BaT

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:10 AM
Reaction score
You might take a look at this car as I have some doubts about it which I’ve expressed. However, I blew my credibility when I went with my foggy memory and confused the fender tag lines while comparing it to another Hemi Charger and misstated the codes for a Hemi 4 speed (need to go to bed at night instead of browsing these websites half asleep). Even a Hemi hot rod is worth some money but hate to see someone spend a bunch of money for what they think is a correct car and probably isn’t. The car needs a lot too.

1966 Dodge Charger 426 Hemi 4-Speed

Pretty decent looking and at 18k for a hemi you can't go wrong.

Pretty decent looking and at 18k for a hemi you can't go wrong.
Running driving hemi 4spd car regardless of body style will blow past 18k in a few days

Based on what I see. Decent car , dark green black interior. IMO mid 60s at the end

Where are the cool factory hub caps? The spinners or mag wheel covers would look much better or a set of torque thrusts... or anything but poverty caps! That’s a project but one you could drive.

Last edited:
I like it. Something that is real, you can drive it, tinker on and improve it. I agree it will probably hit $60k which I think is too much.

You buy that one to drive and with discipline to not start chasing the resto bug all over it. Hemi cars just like that are always awesome to see at cruise ins

Did you notice the lack of torque boxes, starter relay and horn relay bolted directly to the inner fender and the round head pop rivets on the VIN plate?

Did you notice the lack of torque boxes, starter relay and horn relay bolted directly to the inner fender and the round head pop rivets on the VIN plate?
did 66 have the torque boxes? Good eye :thumbsup:

It seemed like the torque boxes were hit and miss on the earlier cars. And the relay bracket delete may very well have been from the terrible generic motors brake conversion. The wiring still goes where it goes. And there's a factory bolt In the apron ..
The pop rivet vin tag isn't great, that's for sure.

At first with the 70s Dart hubcaps I thought of this car FOR SALE - 1966 Hemi Charger

did 66 have the torque boxes? Good eye :thumbsup:
Even the ones built in '65...

1966plysathp2pti 128.jpg

This car used to live just a couple miles from me. I met the owner then and as I recall it was a car that had been in their family for quite a long time. This was about 2008-9-ish, and it was for sale for $50k.... way above the value at that time. It looked exactly the same then as it does now. If there is suspicion of renumbering, the act would have taken place a long time ago.

Just need to scrape the rear bumper off the car for the SO #..

The car is a question mark to me. Not saying it is or it isn’t real. I would like to see the other areas of underbody reinforcements and the SO number on the radiator support. Maybe a paint shop removed the VIN plate for a repaint and put it back with incorrect rivets. It does appear to have a Hemi K frame. If a Hemi ever managed to get out of the plant w/o the underbody reinforcements, maybe this is it.

In spite of my earlier doubts, that the SO number on the fender tag does match the stamping on the radiator frame (recently added picture 104), and with the VIN tag showing a Hemi (even with incorrect rivets) this is pretty good documentation it probably is an original Hemi car. If it’s a re-body they must have transferred the radiator support in addition to the fender tag, VIN plate, k-member, etc, so they did a fairly good job, at least topside. And as pointed out above, the original starter relay fender panel is missing but the mounting hole for the top of plate mounting leg is visible in the correct location on the inner fender, and with a bolt in it.

This may be the elusive example of an early Hemi getting out of the factory sans the torque boxes and other Hemi chassis reinforcements that some have speculated about. I wonder if the original front sway bar is laying around in his garage somewhere?

– Yes we have the original shifter for the car.

Okay, I'm back in with 2 hours to go

Last edited:
43k and an hr to go

Auto Transport Service
Back