• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Hemi repro fuel filter failure - beware

Have a Lawyer draft a letter and send that to them! Registered mail. tell them that you want damages in the amount of
$500.00 for clean-up of the mess. You probably WILL get the money, and they will pay attention! Sorry they don't care.
We will remember and I for one will not buy from them. Too bad Joey can't call them and put some pressure on them?

They should pull all inventory and notify everyone that bought any from that batch

Dave at Restoration Specialties is the supplier / manufacturer . He is in PA. Although Im not 100% certain WHERE they are actually produced

Used to be made by Quirey Quality Eng. But was bought out a few years back

I agree with all the above but I’m too old (and probably not heeled well enough) to file a legal action against a business based in blankety - blank - blank CA. I gave em fair warning.

Its scary though - thinking back I think I actually ran my car for a period of time twice after installing them. It was on the third startup it failed. Glad I immediately noticed that fan spray of fuel looking under the bottom edge of the open hood.

In your houses attached garage no less.

Sorry only metal on mine, no glass I had one vibrate and fell apart on a small block. Thank heaven you caught it before it burnt up!

I replaced the old plastic filters on my 66 Hemi a few weeks ago with a set from Classic. First time I ran the car after rebuilding the carbs everything was fine, after which it set for a few weeks while I was working on this and that. Fired it up today with the hood open and instantly saw fuel flying everywhere - shut it down and blotted up the mess. It wasn’t clear where the fuel was coming from other than somewhere along one of the fuel lines. After drying everything up the filters were half full and no apparent sign of leak. So I wrapped the lines in paper towels and using a remote starter switch, spun the motor until fuel wet the paper towel - on the back carb filter. Pulled it off and figured it was fractured around one of the nipples from installing it. Couldn’t find anything until there but I noticed the two half’s of the filter moving. The glue line around the middle joint had separated. - looked like the adhesive was soft and partly dissolved.

like I said - no issue on the first run but apparently the ethanol fuel deteriorated them over the last few weeks. Going to go backwith the metal ones - screw originality. Could have been a disaster if I hadn’t seen it immediately.View attachment 1214077View attachment 1214078
Ethanol? No straight gas available in AK?
I made the mistake of using ethanol adulterated gas in my 1964 before reading about the damage it causes older car fuel lines, when moisture gets mixed in it turns into acid.
Pulled the gas cap off after sitting out the winter found it covered with white corrosion. There's a reason new cars use plastic fuel tanks.

Yup: Until the next guy has his HemiCar burn to the ground due to these crappy Chinese parts.

Somebody should try Ordering a set from Classic and see what they say......or if they are suddenly out of stock...as they should be.

Auto Transport Service
Back