• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Hemi repro fuel filter failure - beware

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:43 PM
Reaction score
I replaced the old plastic filters on my 66 Hemi a few weeks ago with a set from Classic. First time I ran the car after rebuilding the carbs everything was fine, after which it set for a few weeks while I was working on this and that. Fired it up today with the hood open and instantly saw fuel flying everywhere - shut it down and blotted up the mess. It wasn’t clear where the fuel was coming from other than somewhere along one of the fuel lines. After drying everything up the filters were half full and no apparent sign of leak. So I wrapped the lines in paper towels and using a remote starter switch, spun the motor until fuel wet the paper towel - on the back carb filter. Pulled it off and figured it was fractured around one of the nipples from installing it. Couldn’t find anything until there but I noticed the two half’s of the filter moving. The glue line around the middle joint had separated. - looked like the adhesive was soft and partly dissolved.

like I said - no issue on the first run but apparently the ethanol fuel deteriorated them over the last few weeks. Going to go backwith the metal ones - screw originality. Could have been a disaster if I hadn’t seen it immediately.
EA36354E-3B51-405D-882F-D5D2552B3615.jpeg
A103BE78-BEAC-4838-9613-6FE348111E0C.jpeg

Chinese ****-show. Bet it was a pretty penny too. I go metal.....I know you can't see the level.....but these parts should be pinch-welded with heat if they are plastic.

I bought about a half dozen old Fram inline filters for mine last year . No problems at all . pt # is G12

I dont need $50 filters either

FRAM-G12.jpg

Last edited:
Classic is a sponsor on here, post on their thread.

I would contact them and talk to someone of great importance to let them know what they are selling.
DO NOT send them back to them! Keep them for reference in case someone's investment here goes up
in smoke! Like what was said before, "Chinese Crap"!

Looks like the actual filter part worked, though. Is that really sediment in the one half?

No sediment - glue securing the filter to the housing end - but melted.

More photos - after looking at it closer, looks possibly like it could have been a weak plastic weld.

2EB0152A-72F6-4506-A10D-C048D483853C.jpeg
7BD9EF67-0527-408C-B82D-3F3C4F18B373.jpeg

I’ll call Classic in the morning and give them notice and see if they want to see the pictures.

I watched a guys Rod burn at 2015 Woodward ave Cruise, gut wrenching to watch. All those cars around and it took what seemed like forever for someone to come up with a fire extinguisher. Not to derail a thread by any means but guys check out Element Fire Extinguishers. They will fit right into most consoles/ glove boxes.

I just have a 383 big block, and use metal wick fuel filters.

I know the originals were plastic, but I went metal after I rebuilt my carbs.

20170817_142647.jpg

Kicking myself for not going with the metal ones. It had an older repro set of plastic ones that had been on it for awhile, and I figured if they had held up they must be OK. Fortunately, most everything cleaned up OK. I had my console plate and tach sitting on my front fender on a shallow box as I was going to calibrate the new board in it. I think a couple drops of gas hit the silver trim on the new plate leaving spots so I guess I’ll be repainting that.

Contacted Classic - somewhat disappointing. When I described what I was calling about the guy seemed genuinely alarmed by what happened and what could have happened. But I offered to send him pictures twice if they wanted to forward them to the supplier. I told him I would not want to see this happen to someone else. He declined and when pressed he said they come from an overseas supplier and sending them the pictures would be a waste of time. Got a refund and ordered some metal ones. Case closed I guess.

Yup: Until the next guy has his HemiCar burn to the ground due to these crappy Chinese parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back