• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66 Satellite Window Motor Stuck

onephat66

Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am trying to help my dad restore his matching numbers 383 Super Commando/4 speed Satellite from 600 miles away. The help I'm trying to provide currently is removing the passenger rear power window motor that he can't seem to get removed. Car has the factory power windows in it, but when applying power it just hums, no physical movement happens! He can't get the window down to pull the glass, he's tried applying power to the motor while someone else grips the glass and attempts to move it down with no luck. Any ideas of how to get the glass down or motor removed would be great. Thanks, Jim

Okay first the reason most people here have never SEEN a 66 with power windows!!! Having owned other brands in the mid 60's with PW....well FIRST I will suggest be extremely careful removing the bezels. Then remove the interior panel.

You lead me to believe that he hasn't removed the quarter panel to get to the window. So the following is an assumption based off of LIMITED details. A small tipped flat head screw driver to remove the bezel. Push down on the bezel while pushing in at the base to release the clip (DONT FORCE IT). If you break the clip your screwed.

unscrew the remaining screws and yes this may cause the need for seat removal first. If you're hearing a hum it may be as simple as a roller in the track has broken and not spinning as the arm is trying to push it up and down. check those first. With the panel you can see also if the motor has pushed the window frame past its stop (they break) and when that happens the frame can easily go past it but not return eg: not going down.

probably three screws will remove the motor IF all the above check out good. the windows will travel in thier respective channels and slide out the top with tilt probably going toward the front of the car. **** put painters tape along the edge of the outside to avoid scratch as you remove the window. Most often the motor will have to turn or rotate over 1/2 to 3/4 over to come out the top of the window opening.... it wont come straight out. You;ll have to try this about 3 times before you figure out the angle that's why I suggest the tape on the outside. once out bench test it. IF it moves you now know you missed something with the rollers or stops in the channels. go back and see which one needs replacing. REPLACE THEM ALL! So this job is done forever.
Second you can replace or disassemble the motor and clean it up and some restore kits are available.

I hope this helps.

Yeah, I know not many '60s cars were optioned with power windows, however, with the vast knowledge and support on FBBO I was surprised no one chimed in sooner, that's all. To answer the above questions, no, quarter panel wasn't removed to get to the window. Not sure why anyone would remove a quarter panel to get to a window if quarter panel is in perfect shape. The entire interior is removed. Only thing left is this quarter window and window motor, that's it. No interior panels, seats, nothing. What's this bezel you speak of? We can't get the motor to turn at all, so the 1/2 to 3/4 it needs to turn to come out of the top of window opening is out of the question. Car is getting restored, so we aren't worried about scratching any paint, we just need the motor to cooperate somehow to get the window loose. Once we have the window lowered a small bit we'll be good, just can't get window out of the top channel and can't get it removed from the motor until it is lowered.

Just an idea....do you have room to remove the window motor by itself? I thought there were pop rivets (could be screws). I think if you can drill out those rivets and have an inch of clearance (towards interior of car) you might be able to change the window motor without taking anything else apart.

I was going to suggest disengagement of the motor to see if the mechanism operates smoothly without it.

Those 66 and 67 rears have a fairly convoluted operation and are prone to binding.

Sorry poster.... I am referring to the quarter panel "INTERIOR" not the outside.... I wouldn't ask you to cut out the outside quarters. Like you I made an assumption that you would get the reference. so if all the interior is removed why is it a problem to remove the motors? Its rollers with retainer clips, and 3 screws. First check to see if the stops are not broke and the window channel has raised above it. If so it hang up on the broken stop and WILL stop the motor from cycling down to lower the quarter window. It is my first step. Second if the stop is in place and the motor has not pushed the channel above it.... disconnect the motor from the arms that it moves and see if they will move unattached. If they will it's not the motor. check the rollers and see fi they are dry rotted or chppied . You will see its hanging up somewhere and its usually the stops, rollers or the motor.

Well fellas, my dad was able to get the motor unattached from the quarter, however, he is unable to get the motor to do anything even loose in the hole as it's wedged. So basically, the window is still rolled all the way up, and the motor is technically loose in the quarter, but stuck!!!! bkleenfltx, I guess we just got our wires crossed, makes much more sense asking about the interior panel rather that quarter panel. The reason it's a problem to remove the motor (just this 1), even with the interior removed is because the motor is wedged in the quarter with the window still all the way up. He is unable to get the window removed from the motor as well. The car is suppose to be going to the body shop tomorrow to get the front and rear glass out and the shop is certain they'll be able to get this quarter window removed. We'll see.......

Ok, we got all window motors out. What a PAIN! So now it's deciding whether to rebuild or replace. 3 out of the 4 still work, but we'd like new or rebuilt to go back in. One of the motors (driver front) had been replaced at one time we can tell as it doesn't have the internal plug for the harness. Would like to find the female plug or original motor that we can rebuild. We'll probably end up replacing all 4 with new motors if we can find them reasonably priced and the required plug to wire them in.

Auto Transport Service
Back