• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 to 67 Belvedere gas cap switch

VFilms

Local time
1:14 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to replace the gas cap on a 66 Belvedere II (with the side trim) with a 67 quick release gas cap. I don't have the 67 measurement so I don't know if it would tuck in behind the 66 trim piece and fit within the circular area of the trim and still work.
Just a crazy idea.
Thanks

Never tired that but being the 66 Belvedere II trim is there and the 67 does not use similar trim as the 66 and the quick release cap fits to the body panel, I would say the quick release cap from the 67 will not fit with the 66 Belvedere II trim in place.

I tend to agree.

The large, round trim for the 67 cap is an integral part of the operation, and contains a second, thick seal.

This ring actually is clamped between the gas cap seal and the thick rubber seal I just mentioned, by the spring pressure of the cap seal. The thick seal seals the trim ring to the filler neck on the other side.

It would be very difficult, to say the least to use the cap without the ring.

You could trim the molding before and after the new flip cap might look cool but it will not fit for sure. I had two 66's that original emblem gas cap got stolen once .some ******* !! A+a+a+a+a+a+.jpg I like the stock hidden look good luck

Thanks to all for your input. I have an extra trim piece and can pick up a 67 cap cheap. I may try this out just for the hell of it. I'll post pics if I do. Thanks again

Just throwing it out there, I'm looking for a cap that's pictured on mopower871's post...

When I bought my wagon, I had forgotten how much of a bitch it is to find and keep gas caps on this particular body style.

That's why I went with the GTX/Barracuda flip cap.

At least it's bolted to the car and would take a LOT longer to steal.

That's not to mention the "cool' factor.

Interesting discovery while doing the conversion- the factory "tamper proof" screws are the same as the screws that hold an 80's 5th Ave radio in!

I know this doesn't help with the trim vs cap issue, just thought I'd share.

Before I decided on the flip cap, I considered using a lanyard for a stock, twist on cap.

I've known way too many people that have bought $100 plus caps (or taken years to locate factory caps), only to have them stolen at the first car show or cruise night they went to :(

When I bought my wagon, I had forgotten how much of a bitch it is to find and keep gas caps on this particular body style.

That's why I went with the GTX/Barracuda flip cap.

At least it's bolted to the car and would take a LOT longer to steal.

That's not to mention the "cool' factor.

Interesting discovery while doing the conversion- the factory "tamper proof" screws are the same as the screws that hold an 80's 5th Ave radio in!

I know this doesn't help with the trim vs cap issue, just thought I'd share.

Before I decided on the flip cap, I considered using a lanyard for a stock, twist on cap.

I've known way too many people that have bought $100 plus caps (or taken years to locate factory caps), only to have them stolen at the first car show or cruise night they went to :(
I had a 66 Belvedere II that I started driving in 67 (bought new by my sister) and it ended up being mine by 69. One day I forgot the gas cap at a station and went back as fast as I could to get it. Luckily, it was still sitting on top of the pump. They weren't exactly cheap to replace back then even and the junk yards were usually picked over too. Putting a lanyard on them is a good idea....

Auto Transport Service
Back