• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'67 Air Conditioning Clutch Help... Please

RT6PK

Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
OK, any time I post here asking for help, someone always comes through for me. One more and I promise I will quit bugging everyone...

I have a '67 Plymouth with a 318 and A/C. The bearing on the clutch was making a whining sound. So, I took the clutch off, got the bearing number, bought a new bearing, (which is identical to the old one). I had a local shop press the old bearing out and press the new one in. Now when I try to put the clutch back on, it rubs against the magnetic thing that bolts to the compressor. I did have the magnetic thing off of the compressor, but I put it back on with no issues. Also the belt grooves don't line up. The clutch is too close to the compressor. But if it were shimmed out away from the compressor, the keyed shaft of the compressor would not engage the key-way in the hub that goes through the bearing i.d. We double checked the bearing install, it is right. I don't have any other shims or spacers left over either. I am missing something, but I don't know what. HELP!!!!

The top photo is without the clutch. The bottom photo is a side view showing how the grooved do not line up.

20180827_190725.jpg
20180827_191421.jpg

your pulley is bent from bearing install seen it 100 times. set pulley on bench face down and i bet that the outside edge ofthe pulley doesn't set flat. just my 3 cents

I think bearman is right. Also, the magnetic clutch should be a little loose until the pulley goes on. No noise when rotated, (by hand),then,snug the 4 bolts on mag. clutch

Ok, it doesn't appear to be bent. But what 4 bolts are you talking about?

20180828_180856.jpg

where the new bearing was installed the flange or bearing holder when they pressed it in. that is were they bend it or don't get the bearing in correct. sometimes there is a shim between bearing and bearing holder hope the shop didn't loose it if it had one. take a straight edge across the face and across the back of the pulley to make sure that the pulley is flat. or measure the diameter of the inside were the magnet rides and then measure the outside diameter of the magnet to make sure the pulley doesn't hit the magnet.

Auto Transport Service
Back