• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 coronet 500 5.7 carbed hemi project

A little more action....taking my time obviously.

Attachments

• IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_1719.JPG
    IMG_1719.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_1720.JPG
    IMG_1720.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 591
researching cam shafts....
anyone have any feedback on naturally aspirated hemi's and what cam is best... brand, etc...

5.7 or 6.1
stick or auto....stall converter rpm?
headers or manifolds?
lots of things you need to know to suggest the RIGHT cam

5.7 or 6.1
stick or auto....stall converter rpm?
headers or manifolds?
lots of things you need to know to suggest the RIGHT cam

5.7 stock 04 Durango engine with a carb...
automatic 904, haven't picked a converter yet but probably 2600-2800 most street driven
TTI long tube headers
355 gear or close to that
but want a good lopey sound, I want to know I put a cam in it...but don't want to lose anypower and go to big of cam.

Just pointing this out......the belt needs to wrap around the water pump pulley a lot more than what you have in the pic!

do you have a pic for reference? this is how I bought it and how previous owner was running it. Will it help once power steering is added? I haven't touched the belt system from where it was pulled out of his vehicle when sold....
thanks for the heads up but I need to see what it needs to look like...??? and I WILL be adding power steering...

Just pointing this out......the belt needs to wrap around the water pump pulley a lot more than what you have in the pic!

If he isn't running a mechanical fan that will probably be enough to run the pump. If he wants to run a fan, then yes I agree with you. If he runs it that way with no overheating issues and no squeal or excessive belt wear then it should be ok. I would just monitor that going forward for a while.

I will be running the fan that came with motor... and I will also have power steering on it which will change it all together.

Example

do you have a pic for reference? this is how I bought it and how previous owner was running it. Will it help once power steering is added? I haven't touched the belt system from where it was pulled out of his vehicle when sold....
thanks for the heads up but I need to see what it needs to look like...??? and I WILL be adding power steering...

Here is the serpentine belt from my 5.7L hemi . . . this came out of a Dodge Magnum station wagon . . .

sm_hemiserpentine.jpg

The car setup is different than the truck set up . . . but this is an example . . .

You see how much belt is wrapped around ALL the pulley's? That is needed to prevent belt slippage. So when you add power steering, your arrangement will change, but try to get as much belt around the pulley's as you can.

small update....
engine tore down, cam and springs going in this week
new milodon oil pan going on with new pick up tube...this week
new 6.1 coil packs on the way, going under indy intake...
trans is being built and dyno'd this week... orig 904 beefed up a smidge

need to start ordering parts and get off my butt and clean and paint under hood...spring be here before I know it.
engine hopefully be dyno'd within a couple of weeks...once cam and springs and carb are in and built.
going with a holley 750 vac secondary...to start with....see how that go's.

If he isn't running a mechanical fan that will probably be enough to run the pump. If he wants to run a fan, then yes I agree with you. If he runs it that way with no overheating issues and no squeal or excessive belt wear then it should be ok. I would just monitor that going forward for a while.

Except for the water pump pulley, driven by the back of the belt, which has very little coverage... My 6.4 is very similar - not much wrap on that pulley, but it seems to work!

ahhh....here is the little fella....poor thing.

Attachments

• IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 425
i hope santa brings me a gopro camera for Christmas...so I can video a bunch next year!!!

ok general question.... my hemi is currently painted black. I assume from factory...
I was thinking paint it hemi orange before I put it in.... bad idea? blasphemy?
leave it black? hmmm....
you guys thoughts?

I like orange. I saw one at a show with the entire engine painted Hemi orange except for the intake and valve covers. Looked good. But I could see leaving the heads and front cover bare as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back