• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Coronet Antenna Fitment?

Havasu Dave

Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
Replacing a (supposedly) original antenna on my 67 R/T. I bought a replacement from Herbs, which is supposed to be "1966-67 Dodge & Plymouth B-Body Antenna Kit. Includes Every Part You Need for the Antenna." http://www.herbsparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CAKIT6667BB

It is telescoping, and the mounting fitment is larger than my fender hole. It would require trimming. My fender has one alignment hole for the base, and the supplied kit part requires two. Also, the degree of canting is more excessive than I need. In fact, to my eye balls, it almost looks like a 66/67 fender requires no canting angle on the antenna.

I was all ready to start trimming this painted fender, but now am thinking this is the wrong set up. Can anyone tell me if they've used this replacement antenna, (I ordered it after reading a thread here) or if what I am seeing is normal, and perhaps which way the antenna is supposed to be canted? How many alignment slots or holes in the fender? Anyone with experience dealing with this please chime in. I am about ready to exchange this $150.00 antenna with a ten dollar one from NAPA.

Must have been an optional antenna.

All the ones I've ever had were indeed, straight and non-telescoping.

Must have been an optional antenna.

All the ones I've ever had were indeed, straight and non-telescoping.

Were the bezels designed for a flat mounting surface on a rubber grommet, or were they fitted at an angle? Bezel placement and angle are my issues here. I can deal with telescopic, but leery about taking a reamer to a painted surface to make it fit. Thanks for your reply.

I can probably get a pic tomorrow.

I have an unmolested 67 Satellite.

I'd imagine it's the same, but I suppose it could be different.

I've had a few 67 Coronets as well, and I don't remember them being telescopic.

I am not near as concerned about them being telescopic as the angle of the antenna compared with the car. I am fairly sure the antenna I removed from my 67 RT was the original, since the guy who restored it 20 years ago lives down the street and told me. LOL. But the bezel on that is a simple rubber grommet and a large chrome "washer" and the entire assembly was a drop down the hole affair. The replacement from Herbs is nothing like this. Photo of original fitment would be a God send! I cant find any detailed photos on the webs. Thank you!

My "66 Coronet 500 is bone stock with the telescoping mast.

Interesting.

Is it actually coded for a radio?

I've had a couple that weren't and the radio was dealer installed.

My 66 has a Moapr radio but no antenna hole in the fender.

Again, I am less concerned about the telescopic mast than I am about the angle and design of the mount bezel please.

Edit: Comments above had me looking at the broadcast sheet. Under "Radio" it is blank. Early records show the owner installed a Blaupunkt stereo in 1971 which required dash cutting.

Since the antenna hole in the fender does not look like "any" MOPAR bezel I can find, perhaps the stereo installer cut it.

Last edited:
The antenna angle should be perpendicular to the ground. No angularity to it at all. The mount does have an angle in relation to the fender, though very minor. I can take a pic of my '66 antenna this afternoon.

The antenna angle should be perpendicular to the ground. No angularity to it at all. The mount does have an angle in relation to the fender, though very minor. I can take a pic of my '66 antenna this afternoon.
Thank you. The kit I received from Herbs has a very pronounced angle that will cant the antenna inboard. I suspect the hole was drilled post-production, and closer to the outboard part of the fender where it is flatter. A photo would definitely help. Also a photo of the original mounting hole would help me prove or disprove what I am looking at if anyone has an old fender laying around. Thanks again.

Here is the antenna on my '66 Coronet. The base is canted to the slope of the fender, and the mast is perpendicular to the floor. Hope this helps.

20161017_224823.jpg 20161017_224904.jpg 20161017_224836.jpg 20161017_224853.jpg

I think single section 31 inch whips happened around 1968 or 1969.
They are shorter than the 3 piece telescoping for 2 reasons...well, 3.
1. FM needs the antenna to be 31 inches.
I have a booklet from some 1968 car explaining why you should set the antenna to 31 inches for FM and all the way up for AM.
2. Telescoping design prone to car wash damage or vandalism. Whip mast withstands lots more abuse than tubular.
3. FM was becoming more important, and the tall whip was starting to look old-fashioned. But it really is an advantage in AM sensitivity, and really should be run fully up if you have one and use the AM.
Make sure to adjust the antenna trimmer capacitor on the radio with the antenna at the height you will be using for AM.

Thank you for the photos Patrick. They explain everything. My mount is much further outboard where it's more flat. Probably done after production. Yours looks like the bezel Herb's supplied. Decision time.

Thanks to everyone else for taking the time to respond and offer answers. I always get some good information here when asking questions, and I appreciate that.

Auto Transport Service
Back