• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Gen Charger Antenna Location

SnowMonkVX

Local time
4:14 PM
Reaction score
Just curious if this has been discussed prior, but I was looking at my Father's '66 Charger, and my '67 Charger, and noticed a significant difference in antenna location. Now everyone knows the front fenders are specific to 66-67 Chargers with the difference in trim moldings on the forward corner, but I wasn't aware of the difference in antenna location.

I've checked my '67 and does not look to be modified in terms of location, and there is a support bracket attached to the inner fender to strengthen the sheet metal, I'll try to get a picture this morning, and one of my Fathers car just to compare.

Anyone else have similar results? Closer on the '67s and farther forward on 1966s?

PXL_20230726_181458571.jpg

PXL_20230726_181436675.jpg

Measurments from my 66, mine was retrofitted to a power antenna. The guts of the per antenna fit in space of front fender you see with door open.
I believe the I have read about a rear location the antenna in 66. Don't think I've ever seen one mounted in the rear fender.

IMG_8589.JPG

IMG_8590.JPG

Here is a picture of mine from when I first looked at it.

light blue front right.jpg

Here is a picture of mine from when I first looked at it.
Ok, so yours is farther forward as well. I'm interested if your guage cluster is original, if it has the 'Volcano' Cones around the center spikes of the gauges.

Measurments from my 66, mine was retrofitted to a power antenna.

Interesting. In my limited experience, I'm leaning towards this being an early 1966 Charger thing, then later model year they may have updated it to the farther reward location.

Mine is an early model with chrome center discs in the gauges. Glad because the forward position would not allow a power antenna to be installed.

Measurments from my 66, mine was retrofitted to a power antenna. The guts of the per antenna fit in space of front fender you see with door open.
I believe the I have read about a rear location the antenna in 66. Don't think I've ever seen one mounted in the rear fender.

View attachment 1500927

View attachment 1500928
Just curious if this has been discussed prior, but I was looking at my Father's '66 Charger, and my '67 Charger, and noticed a significant difference in antenna location. Now everyone knows the front fenders are specific to 66-67 Chargers with the difference in trim moldings on the forward corner, but I wasn't aware of the difference in antenna location.

I've checked my '67 and does not look to be modified in terms of location, and there is a support bracket attached to the inner fender to strengthen the sheet metal, I'll try to get a picture this morning, and one of my Fathers car just to compare.

Anyone else have similar results? Closer on the '67s and farther forward on 1966s?

View attachment 1500889

View attachment 1500890
I didn’t think that 66-7 would have a different position on the antennae. Somewhere I have a template of the mounting position. Sometimes they were dealer installed.
We had a 67 that I bought from the second owner, but knew the first owner. He ordered a rear fender mounted antennae. Dealer installed it on the passenger side.
I have a 66 parts car that has the passenger rear fender with antennae.
66-7 Charger fenders are the same as Coronet.

Maybe aerial was dealer installed? I bought a new 1969 Super Bee that did not have a radio (thus the front fender was not punched for an aerial). I paid the radio option price, and the dealership installed the radio and mounted my preferred rear deck aerial. I also paid the option price for the optional Tic-Toc Tach and had it installed by the dealer to replace the standard clock. I think the FSM has a template for mounting the aerial.

Mine was not an early build. This is the only picture of the dash I have handy, again from when I first looked at the car. (the tassel hanging from the rear view is long gone)

light blue interior.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back