• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Coronet build thread

Mike67

Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
I just wanted to start documenting my journey here, and apreciate any and all help over the next year or two, so here it goes..
So a couple of years ago I bought my first Mopar that wasn't a truck...nothing special, (could not afford a Bee or RR), an old drag car (roller) from Mn that was what I thought ( still do) to be in good shape. Goal is to put a protouring/ prostreet type of mopar back on the road. Keep the cage, tubs, w/440- not a Barret Jackon or 100 pt. contender just a ride that will get some attention.
Its been sitting in the shop patiently waiting for some attention while I finished up my wifes 68 mustang. During that time I have been slowly collecting bits and pieces as deals presented themselves. Well I have most of the bugs worked out on the wife's car (she's happy w/it), so I have started to do some things on the ol girl.
After I stripped out the interior I was checking the pans and knew I would have to do a quarter pan on the right side which went in without much difficulty except most of the rust was at the toeboard about 1 12" further up than where the replacement stopped... No big deal I replaced full pans in my wife's car and was able to fabricate the extensions and roll the beads to match.
I thought the driver side was pretty solid with the exception of a few pin holes that I thought I could weld up with some plugs...So week before last I was poking around with a tinners hammer and found that was not exactly as I thought. I've cut out a piece roughly 5x8" again higher up on the toeboard right next to the hump where the dimmer switch is... I wasn't to worried about it as it will be hidden from view but about a third of the way through tacking it in I started blowing holes in it...
So my question is should I buy another quarter that I will have to certainly cobble together or just keep on cutting back until I get to good metal and patch the other smaller stuff? The floor board is actually in decent shape, but the transition up is where the problem lies... I haven't found anyone that makes a lower firewall to toeboard type piece.... Any help is sporeciated!

FB_IMG_1430761771362.jpg FB_IMG_1430761786188.jpg FB_IMG_1430761721574.jpg FB_IMG_1430761740248.jpg FB_IMG_1430761715983.jpg 0426151715.jpg 0426151714.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, gotta love the '66 / '67's. I was lucky on mine as the floor only had a couple small holes and only required small patches. I think the '66 through '70 all use basically the same pan with only minor cosmetic differences. Myself, I would patch but my car will just be a nice driver, not a show car. In any case I'm subscribed! Now.....where's the pics?!

Cool, gotta love the '66 / '67's. I was lucky on mine as the floor only had a couple small holes and only required small patches. I think the '66 through '70 all use basically the same pan with only minor cosmetic differences. Myself, I would patch but my car will just be a nice driver, not a show car. In any case I'm subscribed! Now.....where's the pics?!
Well I thought I had the pan pics on the phone but I guess I erased them... I'll have some tomorrow...
Mine will be a driver as we'll, some may even call it a 20 footer... I don't care though, it is a big block mopar from the 60s
Here we go just took them...now I am electrician not a welder! Lol! Thank goodness for ther discs!!!

0730161018.jpg 0730161019.jpg

Last edited:
with being a driver I would patch sometimes we want our cars to be perfect and unless its a high end Hemi or very rare car I dont go crazy and try to keep cost down Ill be starting my 67r/t soon love the 66/67body

I don't care though, it is a big block mopar from the 60s
exactly my thoughts! Great looking Coronet.
I'm contemplating a full pan vs a quarter pan on both sides as the patches a previous owner put in are terrible and not attached to the frame.
I'l be watching this thread!

Too bad we didn't know each other back in 09. I had a 67 Coronet for parts with perfect floors.....

Too bad we didn't know each other back in 09. I had a 67 Coronet for parts with perfect floors.....
That would have been nice, I'm going to have to get you out to the shop one day, actually, you have an open inventation!

Last edited:
Nice project, I would probably just patch what was needed since the carpet will cover it anyway. That's what I did to mine. Good luck!

Was able to get a little more done this weekend. Just under the dimmer swich on the break were some small holes thought I could weld up...not the case...
Had fun bending and rolling the patch....for pretty nice though..
I guess I shouldn't be to worried, the holes that they cut to take the cage to the frame are pretty big. I have aluminum panels that were pop riveted over those....I'm probably just going to reuse them...
This will never be a show car so wth...

0730161143.jpg 0730161433.jpg 0730161019.jpg

Found this time slip from Grove Creek Raceway dated 9/26/09... Looks like the old gal used to haul ***! 6.49 @ 108 mph...Doesn't look like traction was an issue- 1.47 60'...
Wi-Fi sucks at the shop and won't let me upload pics...
Also found a build sheet. Shouldn't the numbers match the fender tag?

0806161456.jpg

Been stock piling parts, RPM heads, Promag rockers, Dougs 2" Headers, PST super kit, new old/surrounds, all arp fasteners, interior panels, full floor pan, felts, &weather stripping, flex plate, damper, and a bunch of other tid bits...when I start I want to have a lot to do without stopping.
Hopefully Ill have the t bird pretty much wired next weekend...then maybe I can start up again!

Nice to see you get a thread going, love the car btw. I know you said it wasn't your first pick..... now I'm wondering how long it'll take before it does become your #1 pick? I know for me these are becoming my favorites especially the Coronets with those menacing quarters and nice lines. Like I said, I love these cars and can't wait to see it with a protouring/prostreet twist. Good luck

And yes, the build sheet should match the VIN....

Lol! Buildsheeet?!?!?!....I have one but have never compared it....its just a 440 car nothing special..but its mine!

Ive always loved BBods and A's as well... you cant beat the hips on these gals...aint nothin finer!
The Coronets have always been in my top 2 with GTX's... but Im perfectly happy with mine!
I had always thought I would go with B5 or possibly newer Challenger blue maybe even a Viper blue but the last few days Ive been seeing the redish maroons on the new cadillacs and ford trucks that has me thinking and Ive never been a maroon type of person but am thinking about it...its a light flake but has a candy look to it that is pretty nice...

DSC_2762.jpg dodge2016B5blue.jpg 13249951_1717086758539702_690103556_n.jpg 2014-ford-shelby-gt500-coupe-1.jpg View attachment 433812

Ya, the more I look the more I like it...I think the car was originaly a dark red... I just found this on the internet and its SWEET!

1967-dodge-coronet-rt-profile-660x440.jpg 1967-dodge-coronet-rt-front.jpg

I'm liking this thread coming back up on the being worked on list ! ! Yeah, I'm kinda partial to the 67's too . . . ( smile ) . . .

Keep the updates a coming . . . I'll be watching . . .

Well if I don't get to work on it I'm going to have a hell of an inventory!!! Lol
I'm going to hit the t bird hard this weekend, next weekend we leave for Florida for a week... Then it's time to thrash....maybe it will be drivable by Sept!!!

homer-crosses-fingers.jpg

Well got a few parts in today, my PST Super kit today ( Thanks for the fast shipping James!) my back ordered PR length checker, Damper bolt and an early fathers day gift...

0605171916.jpg 0615171604.jpg 0615171605.jpg

Well if I don't get to work on it I'm going to have a hell of an inventory!!! Lol
I'm going to hit the t bird hard this weekend, next weekend we leave for Florida for a week... Then it's time to thrash....maybe it will be drivable by Sept!!!

View attachment 433903
We're barely going to miss each other in Florida lol. We head down in a couple weeks to jump on a Cruise:thumbsup:.

Best wishes with your Sept goal.

Auto Transport Service
Back