• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'67 Coronet Project

sclee440

Local time
7:03 AM
Reaction score
Finally decided that I would post my project. I haven't been able to work on it for a while because I had to do some financial "backflips" in order to buy a house, but that's behind me now so I'm starting to allocate some resources. The car is a 1967 Coronet 500 with 36,000 original miles. It came from the original owner and hadn't been driven since 1981. 273 automatic with buckets, no console and factory a/c. I picked it up a couple of years ago, did the new fuel system thing and drove it around for the summer. Fun, but not exciting. Unless you count the first time I tried to stop it.... forgot what it was like to stop a 3,800 lb. car with drum brakes all around. I've had some street/strip cars in the past (emphasis on street) including a couple of a Darts, a pro-street Duster and a nice 440-6 'Cuda. I've also had some nice Mustangs and even a lone '68 Impala with a 427. That car was soundly spanked by a '69 R/T Charger one night which spurred the immediate sale of the Chevy and brought me back to the Mopar camp for good. Anyway, my plans for the car include a low-deck stroker, Passon 5-speed and Dana 60. I have the good 230 casting 400 block, already checked it out and installed billet main caps. Mini tubbed the car in order to get some decent sized rubber under it, installed frame connectors and a Cal Trac rear suspension with mono leafs. Wilwood front brakes and DSCN2316.jpgDSCN2312.JPGDSCN2324.jpgIMG_1552.jpgIMG_1572.jpgIMG_2906.jpgIMG_2907.jpg I've just started working on the Dana. Now that the sun is starting to shine again, hopefully I'll be able to post some more pics soon!

Car looks good. sounds like you got some good things going in it to make it a nice "sleeper".

Nice shape. Love the 66 / 67 Nets, looks great! But..........why the heck did you have to show the mini tub? I've been thinking about it a lot and now seeing yours, damn it, it doesn't look too hard. Is it really as simple of a job as it appears to be? Shoot, and just when I thought I was done underneath the car, maybe more work on the board. :BangHead: What did or are you going to do with the seat belt mounts?
Subscribed..........

why the heck did you have to show the mini tub? I've been thinking about it a lot and now seeing yours, damn it, it doesn't look too hard. Is it really as simple of a job as it appears to be?

'Simple'. Depends on level of competency, but there is a lot of work involved, methinks. Not exactly the word I would use for it.

This build looks like it's starting out awesome. Excited to see how it evolves. What's your timeframe?

Herr is right gdrill... time consuming for sure. For me the benefits of bigger meats outweighed the effort though. I did an awful lot of measuring and planning before I made the first cut. If you have the skill set, I say go for it! '67 wheel wells are sorely lacking in real estate and it's a shame because they look sooooo good with a fat tire. Seat belt mounts are going to be relocated inboard of the tubs. Herr, timeline is flexible. My desire says it will be done this year, my work schedule and my wallet say otherwise...

Thanx sclee440. I have the skills to do this, just when I saw yours it made me realize it wouldn't be that daunting. There are 6 steps that I see, more or less. 1 - cut the trunk spring mounts, 2 - cut the tub, 3 - cut the floor, 4 - re-locate the seat belts, 5 - weld in the spacer, 6 - re-attach everything together. Of course measuring everything carefully along the way. I may have simplified this, but I believe it's close. I have two questions though. Re-locating the seatbelts: The tub is moved right to the frame, or very close. Are you installing them into the top of the frame rail? Next, do you have to modify the back seat for this modification? I like the way you sectioned the spacer in by crimping both sides, at least it looks like that. That should add a lot of strength and actually be quite sturdy.

Sounds like a plan that will stand out strong when your done, good luck with the car, its a good looking ride!!

That's the way to do it, break it down into manageable jobs. That's what I try to teach my students.

Love the fab work!! Everything looks great!! How do you like that digital level? Does it seem accurate?

The level works well. It has a calibration procedure that's a bit of a pain, but I do it every time I use it to make sure it's accurate.

230 Casting 400 block...IMG_6694.jpgIMG_6696.jpg
Beefy Mains...IMG_6677.jpg
Pro-Gram Engineering Main Caps...IMG_6690.jpgIMG_6682.jpg
440 Source Stuff...IMG_6661.jpgIMG_6663.jpgIMG_6665.jpgIMG_6666.jpg

Nice, real nice, love the 67!

I will be following your mini tub with much interest. Thanks!

Very nice.One day I would like to tackle this.The tub and frame rail job that is.

did you have to modify the inner wheel house to clear the trunk hinge? i did the same mini tub on my 67 satellite and had to "notch" the inner wheel house. that was somthing that i did not take into consideration when i set out to do the job.

Last edited:
Finally decided that I would post my project. I haven't been able to work on it for a while because I had to do some financial "backflips" in order to buy a house, but that's behind me now so I'm starting to allocate some resources. The car is a 1967 Coronet 500 with 36,000 original miles. It came from the original owner and hadn't been driven since 1981. 273 automatic with buckets, no console and factory a/c. I picked it up a couple of years ago, did the new fuel system thing and drove it around for the summer. Fun, but not exciting. Unless you count the first time I tried to stop it.... forgot what it was like to stop a 3,800 lb. car with drum brakes all around. I've had some street/strip cars in the past (emphasis on street) including a couple of a Darts, a pro-street Duster and a nice 440-6 'Cuda. I've also had some nice Mustangs and even a lone '68 Impala with a 427. That car was soundly spanked by a '69 R/T Charger one night which spurred the immediate sale of the Chevy and brought me back to the Mopar camp for good. Anyway, my plans for the car include a low-deck stroker, Passon 5-speed and Dana 60. I have the good 230 casting 400 block, already checked it out and installed billet main caps. Mini tubbed the car in order to get some decent sized rubber under it, installed frame connectors and a Cal Trac rear suspension with mono leafs. Wilwood front brakes andView attachment 170738View attachment 170739View attachment 170740View attachment 170741View attachment 170743View attachment 170744View attachment 170745 I've just started working on the Dana. Now that the sun is starting to shine again, hopefully I'll be able to post some more pics soon!
just got done with volt meter installation... I used the amp meter for a base and molded a 2 1/8" auto meter around it. So it can be done

Yeah, had to modify the wheelhouse to clear the hinge. Looks like a big rough dimple at this point. I'll clean it up later and make it look more presentable.

Auto Transport Service
Back