• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Coronet recipe for a fun street car?

popinsmoke

Local time
8:33 AM
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I am in the process of trying to upgrade my 67 Coronet from Street/Strip to a weekend fun toy that can go around a corner or two without dragging the door handles.

So far swapped the big block for an aluminum headed 408 small block, bought 1.03 torsion bars, adjustable strut rods, 16 to 1 manual steering box.

The car already had an 11-inch power disc brake kit on it.

So now my focus is on Wheels and Tires, Rear Springs, Sway Bars, and Shocks.

I like the look of the 17 inch VN501, but I see that there are better tire choices in an 18 wheel aesthetically I like a little less wheel and little more sidewall.

Was thinking a 265 on 17x8 with 4.5bs all the way around if I can fit it.

1 and 3/8 Front sway bar and a 1 inch rear.

Shocks are rear springs I am little a little fuzzier on, I have never set a car up to do anything other than going fast in a straight line.

Only "road racing" was with Crown Vics and Chargers as part of my job.

Any advice or reference material would be greatly appreciated even if it is to tell me I am on the wrong track (no pun intended)

Not looking for a 9/10 track car, but a weekend fun machine.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

It'll be interesting to see what you come up with:popcorn2:

Last edited:
What’s your budget?

Companies like Hotckis and QA1 make systems, I’m sure there’s a few others. Choose one and go with it.

At minimum I would go with upper and lower control arms with correct rated T-bars for the system or you could go all out and convert to coil over. The rear you could stick to leaf springs from supplier. Wild would be full 4 link with coil overs. If you don’t go with coil overs I would go with Bilstien shocks. Anything other than that would be a full fabricated system.

i was looking at a Coronet yesterday,the guy had 17`s on it and we discussed them at length.
he tried the 18`s and didnt like them,same thing you said,not enough rubber.

his car looked Great with the 17`s too.
i like that you went with the small block 408 too.
hows the pickup/accel feel compared to the bb?

408 feels real strong, a little more rev happy than the 440.

I am bracing the lCA's leaving the uppers stock with the offset moog bushings, not interested in altering the car with aftermarket K members, 4 links, or coil over conversions, I want to make the car as fun as I can while keeping it classic if that makes any sense.

Subframe connectors are the next step, only things I haven't bought yet are wheels, tires, shocks, rear springs, and sway bars, the front end is pretty well sorted in theory.

Benchmark car is a Crown Vic P71 not the hottest car in the world but I have logged many, many high-speed miles in one, and in the corners, it feels like a Ferrari compared to my Coronet setup for a straight line.

Auto Transport Service
Back