• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 GTX 440 - Poor Driveability Issues, Need Help

That's great to hear, Don! Good to make sense out of this stuff, dealing with the crummy gas these days. That rich/lean mixture can throw you for a loop sometimes.

Looks like you've got an iron intake. Guess on one of those, might take one of the spacers on it.

Trying two of the Edelbrock insulated gaskets on mine, though on an aluminum intake.
Still have to open both of my Eddys, to swap sides on fuel intake ports. Gonna be sure to check floats.

Now all you gotta do is try enjoying that thing a bit more!!!

Thanks. I actually have an aluminum MP Wedge highrise intake, I limited the spacer to 1/2" because of hood clearance issues. I'm already enjoying the car more!

A further update: yesterday I took the car out for a longer drive, same sunny 80s weather. This time I made three stops with varying heat soak time and ran the A/C the last half of the trip. Before, if I left it sit hot more than 5 minutes it effectively flooded itself - the only way it would start was by holding the pedal to the floor. It would then be seriously loaded up and run like crap until it cleaned itself out. Now, it starts right up, idles clean and drives away smooth! The other thing I've noticed is I'm no longer getting the raw gas smell after shutting it off, I used to have to let it sit in the drive and cool off before putting it in the garage to keep the fumes out. Not sure how much of this is due to the spacer or the retune but either way it's great. One interesting thing, I assumed this engine had a really big cam in it due to the really lumpy idle and poor low speed performance. Now it still has a lopey idle but everything else has smoothed out a lot, I think it is a milder cam than I originally thought. The real test of all this will be 90s and 100s Texas weather but so far the few dollars spent for the Edelbrock kit was serious bang for the buck!

Good news. Thanks for the update. Put more miles on and report! Been recently playing with my 440 - settings and idle ac on vs off etc. I have found a happy place without the "rich" exhaust smell. Though not a priority, fuel economy has improved too. Easy launches when up to op temp are a pleasure too huh?

Don

I think it is a carb and cam issue.....The carb issue could be due to a fuel pump moving too much fuel possibly.....

Justin

What causes a roo rich condition big here and or too much fuel?

old thread but a good one. I wish I could use that 1/2" wood spacer under my hood.

So it was too lean...if you look back at a previous post you will note that it was surging...which is a good sign that it was too lean. Good for you for figuring this out!

Auto Transport Service
Back