• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 68' 383 strange alternator braket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drock

Local time
12:54 PM
Reaction score
Guys, I've been killing myself trying to find the correct bracket for my setup. Seems the pullies and water pump are quite different from all the pictures of the same year 383. I've been wondering if my motor came out of an RV or Van. I've tried a number of different brackets and I just can't seem to find anything that will work.
IMG_0772 2.JPG
IMG_0772.JPG
IMG_0771.JPG
IMG_0770.JPG
IMG_0769.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG

Here is a pic of the alt brackets. Do you have AC? Power steering?

roadrunner-1968-dark-turquoise-383-auto-3.jpg

Your pulley set up looks like something different than what i have for that

Last edited:
Hello, this might be of some help. This is from my 1968 Charger 383 BB w/AC when I was putting in a new alternator.

See if these pics help.

1968 BB with AC alternator brackets.jpg 1968 BB with AC alternator brackets.jpg

Sorry for the confusion, I double posted the same pic. But added the orange arrow in the 2nd one.

Sorry for the confusion, I double posted the same pic. But added the orange arrow in the 2nd one.
okay this makes more sense than anything else i have seen. Do you have a closer picture of that additional pivot point cast bracket and how / where you have it mounted to the heads?

I'll check my 1968 Charger pic files. Or I can see if I can get some new pics. However I want to avoid doing any disassembly to gain access of close ups.

See if this helps. This is a pic I got off the internet showing the block mounting threaded holes for the 67-68 B Body BB w/AC alternator bracket. My mistake, earlier I said 68 B Body only, 67 B Body uses this same bracket.

I made edits to the same pic next to the original pic. Blue arrows pointing to the mounting holes. White X indicates to ignore that particular bracket as it's a different application. Mainly I'm using this pic to show the location of the mounting holes.

imageser01.jpg

I forgot i have this car. Maybe this will help?

20170807_051844.jpg 20170807_051900.jpg 20170807_051911.jpg

See if this helps. This is a pic I got off the internet showing the block mounting threaded holes for the 67-68 B Body BB w/AC alternator bracket. My mistake, earlier I said 68 B Body only, 67 B Body uses this same bracket.

I made edits to the same pic next to the original pic. Blue arrows pointing to the mounting holes. White X indicates to ignore that particular bracket as it's a different application. Mainly I'm using this pic to show the location of the mounting holes.

View attachment 498407

what about the business end ?

Looking for how that cast iron alternator bracket is mounted to the head?
Mine doesn't seem to line up with the three holes. it's currently kind of hanging from one

This is where it was connected, the upper bolt location was stripped and someone put a helicoil to try and patch it..
IMG_0601.JPG

I moved it to here so i could get down the road, however, there is no orientation in which all 3 holes line up. wondering it the heads came off something else or the bracket did..

IMG_0627.JPG

You may have a poly 318 Alt bracket. Your photo perspectives are hard to really confirm. However BB bracket should line up to the triangle bolt pattern.

You may have a poly 318 Alt bracket. Your photo perspectives are hard to really confirm. However BB bracket should line up to the triangle bolt pattern.

there was originally a 361 in the car so maybe that bracket is from that?

Ok guys I finally found what im looking for!
If anyone has the following parts please PM me..
bracketpartsineed.jpg

It is a bugger to see without tearing more out. I tipped the alt out of the way. See if these help more.

20170807_121245.jpg 20170807_121221.jpg 20170807_121123.jpg

This is on a 67 383 car. The original motor has been swapped out long long ago but this is what is on it. The motor is a 70 383.

I could sell ya mine for $5000 and throw a car in free!! LOL
Wish i could help but i dont think i have any extra like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back