• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 charger advise

Dreamcatcher

Will fish for food
Local time
6:31 PM
Reaction score
I have a question for the guys that have restored a 68 Charger. I put in my new one piece trunk pan. Then installed the new tail light panel using the existing quarters as a guide for placement. After that I have installed the rear valance. Today I cut the right quarter off and was going to install the trunk drop off on that side. If I clamp it in place the valance corner wont fit at all. I cant figure out why but it will not go in. And do you install the new quarter first then the corner. Don't seem like it would be very easy after.
Thanks for any help.

Second generation Charger repop lower rear corners leave much to be desired. We ended up slicing and welding in a pie shaped wedge on to make it like the originals. I have also heard some guys doing the same to the quarters instead.

Second generation Charger repop lower rear corners leave much to be desired. We ended up slicing and welding in a pie shaped wedge on to make it like the originals. I have also heard some guys doing the same to the quarters instead.
I don't like any after market sheet metal but its a must on these old cars. I have AMD and I can say IMHO it is no better that any other I have used. It is all Jap made. And I always compare it to what I remove and it is most always different in one way or the other.

So is it best to put them in after the quarters or before. The drop offs don't fit well either.

So is it best to put them in after the quarters or before. The drop offs don't fit well either.
If I remember correctly, we had the drops in first. Then fit the back quarter, cap, and valance at the same time. I would have to go back and look in my resurrection thread to be positive though. Its been awhile and my memory seems to be the first thing that is giving out lol.

If I remember correctly, we had the drops in first. Then fit the back quarter, cap, and valance at the same time. I would have to go back and look in my resurrection thread to be positive though. Its been awhile and my memory seems to be the first thing that is giving out lol.
Just looked your thread over. Nice work. I hope the full quarters are better now. I have two of them and because of issues on the upper part of the quarter I have to go with full quarters instead of skins. I think you answered my question in your thread. Cut and paste lol or in this case cut and weld.

Just looked your thread over. Nice work. I hope the full quarters are better now.
We used skins on my car, but really wish I would have bought the full quarters after seeing the quality of the skins. Many, many hours were spent fixing them. AMD even gave me some money back because of the issues. Quite a few people were having a lot better luck with the fulls, so I think you will be ok.

I had this problem on my 69 as well. In my situation I replaced the entire back end (except frame rails) I was told that to make the quarters with end caps fit, I needed to bend the outer ends of the rear crossmember in, or twards the front of the car.
Once I did this it all fit (after some trimming and bending of the drop offs)

I just pre fit my AMD right quarter. WOW what a POS! Fought all day to get it to fit and line up. And when I finally got everything in place so the lines match. It has a 3/4" gap at the top of the Dutchman panel and a 3/8" gap at the bottom of the Dutchman panel. Perfect everywhere else. Not sure how to fix this. I do know that paying the extra for the AMD brand was not worth it. I have installed a lot of different brands of after market panels. But this was the worst fit I have ever had. Maybe I got a bad quarter but AMD cant run fast enough to give me any more misfit junk. On the good side I only have one more to get to fit lol.

I always fit the exterior metal together first.......... then modify, if necessary the inner pieces to fit....... seems like everything needs a little "dice and slice"

I always fit the exterior metal together first.......... then modify, if necessary the inner pieces to fit....... seems like everything needs a little "dice and slice"
I didnt need to change the Dutchman panel Just the quarters. There is no way to get the quarter close enough to weld to the Dutchman as it is in as far as it will go.
DSCN0126.JPG

you need to modify to fit...... you may need to add a piece, subtract a piece, or both......... welcome to my world.......

if it doesn't fit to the dutchman, it probably wont fit to the trunk lid...... think it out

hope you are doing this with doors on and lined up with rocker....... everything affects everything else

Last edited:
you need to modify to fit...... you may need to add a piece, subtract a piece, or both......... welcome to my world.......

if it doesn't fit to the dutchman, it probably wont fit to the trunk lid...... think it out

hope you are doing this with doors on and lined up with rocker....... everything affects everything else
Doors and rocker line up great. In fact everything does except the Dutchman. I measured the opening and also the trunk and it actually looks like it will be pretty tight fit. But wont know till I put it back on. And I will before welding anything in solid. Not my first game (been doing this over 30 years) just never ran into one that fits this poorly. I guess my biggest beef is what this sheet metal cost and then to have to modify it.

Auto Transport Service
Back