• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger Jack spring

Yennes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
Hello FBBO,

I am restoring my jack and I dissembled it completely. I removed all 4 rivets and one bolt.
Unfortunately the spring, that is inside the jack, is broken.
My question is, if someone can share a picture of the spring. I think it is difficult to catch a picture when installed, but maybe it is enough to help me.

I need to bend a new one by myself.
I already zinc plated the whole jack and will paint it in the original finish soon. After that, I will put all rivets back to their place (new and hand made).

Here is a picture of my spring
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-21 at 22.04.36.jpeg

Would be nice if someone can help me out!
Thanks and greetings from Germany
Yannik

G'day Yannick. Beautiful car indeed! I just took these for you. They are off of a reproduction jack from Tony's Parts. The second generation jacks are all the same I do believe?? Let me know if these pictures work for you.

jack spring 2.jpg

jack spring 3.jpg

jack spring 4.JPG

Thank you very much. It seems like the spring needs to bend all the other way like I lay them on the table. I already ordered a 2mm spring steel and will bend it as soon as I can.
I will show it to you after that, if anyone is interested in bending a new one also.

Also, I have a technical drawing of all bolts and rivets you need to restore the jack. If anyone is interested I can send it to you. You just have to bring it to the next machinist.

Have a good one and thanks again
Yannik

I totally disassembled my jack to restore it. This was a couple of years ago so I don't totally remember off hand how it went together but I do have a couple pics of the parts. It's not the best picture but you can see the general shape of the spring.
2023-11-25_04-02-27.jpg
2023-11-25_04-02-19.jpg

2023-11-25_04-06-29.jpg

2023-11-25_04-06-41.jpg

2023-11-25_04-06-50.jpg

Holy man, that pictures are pure gold for me. I tried to bend the spring, but the jack does not work properly, yet. I could manage to get it worked upwards, but it does not work downwards. Furthermore, I needed to bend the spring "freestyle" because I only had the pictures where it was installed and my own is broken. With your pictures, I can try it again.

Where did you get the rivets from, that you needed to restore the jack?
Also, can you tell me what length your lug wrench is? Short and long part?

In the picture, you can see that it is way bent different from yours. I will give it a try tomorrow!
Here is my first try:
jack spring.jpeg

Thanks again
Yannik

Last edited:
Good I’m glad that I was able to help. The lug wrench that I ended up using is actually from Tony’s parts. The one that's blasted in the first pictures is an old one that I bought off eBay that's pitted to hell. As for the rivets, I carefully ground the small side of the rivet flush with the jack body and slid the rivets out. I had a buddy of mine that used to work with me drill and tap that side of the rivet on his lathe. Then I could slide the rivets back in and screw a small button head into the other side holding them into place. I make sure to put the button heads on the side that faces the quarter panel.
2023-11-25_05-07-27.jpg

2023-11-25_05-07-34.jpg

Okay, nice solution for that. I will get brand-new ones, also made from the lathe. I will not have the original head with the rings on it, but it is okay for me.
Was the lug wrench labeled to fit 68 chargers? Or just something like 68-70? If it was labeled for 68, I would appreciate measurements anyway.

Thanks
Yannik

Tony offers a short style and a long style. The long style is for the B bodies including the Charger.
IMG_20231125_171941745.jpg
IMG_20231125_171922970.jpg

I was told that the long part should be 20" and the short 11". They were only installed in 67-68.
But I think will need to get further information!

Thanks

I was told that the long part should be 20" and the short 11". They were only installed in 67-68.
But I think will need to get further information!

Thanks
That very well could be. I will have to dig out the pitted one as I was told that one was indeed a Charger lug wrench. I’ve never compared the two side by side

Auto Transport Service
Back