• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger R/T ...Let the games begin

Agtree

Local time
11:43 PM
Reaction score
I have begun the journey of trying to balance low cost/done right resto...I just found out the car came with a 71 440 not the correct motor so I am looking for a 68 if anyone has a HP block for charger. I also need exhaust manifolds. everything else is there..I am told :)
The car is in the Seattle area and I would love to connect with local Charger/mopar guys/gals. I will post pics as I go in hopes to get as much feedback as possible. Its originally a yellow w black top/stripe,int car w/ column auto 440. I have been torn with going back to og color but now feeling 90% certain im going back to yellow/black...Any thoughts? color or Motor?
IMG_6521.jpgIMG_6526.jpgIMG_6531.jpgIMG_6534.jpg

I saw that car on craigs seattle, Im out of portland, Looks like you found a nice foundation!

- - - Updated - - -

wildcat auto in sandy may have a 440 block you need, they are an all-mopar wrecking yard. good luck

Sounds like a good plan so far. Whatever color you use. Is this a bench seat car? Auto on the column, so i would think it is. Just curious what that bracket on the hump is for?

Looks like a good car to start.I always like to go original color,but that's just me. Always did like the 68-70 chargers.

Nice solid project.. The yellow and black sounds like it would be great, i cant remember seeing one (68) with it painted with this combo... One of the members here had a 69-70 Charger painted yellow in his garage, if i remember right it had Key-stone classic wheels on it and looked very unique, beautiful for one word, ill bet the 68 painted with this combo will turn some heads! Good luck with the restoration..

Great car and would love that color combo.
I snapped this 68 at this years Mopar Nats:

IMG_6545_zpsb58aff11.gif

I think this is the car Ron is refering to. It looks great in this color combo in my opinion.

Sounds like a good plan so far. Whatever color you use. Is this a bench seat car? Auto on the column, so i would think it is. Just curious what that bracket on the hump is for?

Think that bracket on the hump is for a center console. Looks like he taped off the hole where the floor shifter comes through floor.

looks like a solid start to what should be a great ride. I think the yellow / black would be a great combo

I'd Surely Go With The Original Yellow. IMO Thats The Best Color For A 68.
My 68 is Green With Green Top And Interior.
I Like It And it's Going to Stay that Color.
But If I Was Going To Change it surely would be the light yellow.
Mike Z.

Thank you,
AG

- - - Updated - - -

Yea its a buddy bench w colum shifter.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, Bucket buddy. Do you think it may have been something els?
AG

- - - Updated - - -

I think this is the car Ron is refering to. It looks great in this color combo in my opinion.
Awesome!! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Your green is the only other color I would paint it as well...SO Sic!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_6542.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_6540.jpg

If you've found the magical answer of how to do a low cost/done right restoration my friend, you need to write a book because the auto enthusiast crowd has been looking for the answer to that question since Mr. Ford started putting wood wheeled buggies on the road. As of now, that's about like saying Genius/Blonde or Honest/Politician.

Best of luck on your project, looks like a nice solid base to start with.

Hey Agtree, I'm posting from work here in Kirkland though I live in Seattle. I restored a '69 about 20 years ago, but eventually sold it. Even in 1993 dollars I was into it about $17,000 all told. But hey, I'll be in the market for a '70 within the year as I want to do another one.

I look forward to your progress!

p.s. Here's something I posted about my car:http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,91842.0.html

Daing Homerr! That is such an awesome documented restoration! Thank you! I will let you know as it gets closer and we can go bomb around Seattle!
Adam

IMG_6795.jpgIMG_6797.jpgIMG_6798.jpgIMG_6799.jpgIMG_6800.jpgIMG_6801.jpgIMG_6802.jpgIMG_6808.jpgIMG_6809.jpgIMG_6810.jpgIMG_6813.jpgIMG_6814.jpgMeM

- - - Updated - - -

Metal work done in a week! The doors were blasted and trunk hood blasted this week and then body work begins!

Those pics bring back not so distant memories. I'm restoring a 69 right now and have it ready for paint. Looks like you had all the same issues I did except mine required full quarters, looks great. You should feal lucky seeing how painting yours the original color actually makes for a sweat looking charger. As for money "I hope you have better luck than I did" I blew threw my budget. I don't regret it, I always told myself that if I ever owned my dream car I would leave no stone unterned and do it 100% my way. Love the pics be looking for mine soon.

i gave up trying to ''budget'' my builds a long time ago! i just try and be smart about my choices but, somtimes you just have to go for it if you want things to end up the way you want them to be. good looking car to start with.

Auto Transport Service
Back