• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger steering column restoration

Interested. Thanks.

No worries, tool is 70 percent complete. I'll give everyone a heads up when parts are available..

Curious: - Are you a toolmaker, or are you having it done by someone else? EDM into a MUD Base? If you can do this stuff reasonably - stateside - maybe you can be FBBO's "Injection molding source on file"?

....just a thought... I can also reverse engineer parts to Solidworks for the common good.

Thanks
Mark

Curious: - Are you a toolmaker, or are you having it done by someone else? EDM into a MUD Base? If you can do this stuff reasonably - stateside - maybe you can be FBBO's "Injection molding source on file"?

....just a thought... I can also reverse engineer parts to Solidworks for the common good.

Thanks
Mark
Hey Mark, and yes I have been a Toolmaker for over 40 yrs. now. I do all my own designing, engineering and fabrication. Yes you are correct, this tool requires EDM sinker and some wire work. I designed this tooling to work with the insert mold bases we use here for prototypes. If you have some parts that are needed and have 3D models, send them to me and I'll see what I can do (Parasolid files will do). Please understand I'm only doing this on the side, using machines that aren't mine...so lets be realistic because there's only so much I can squeak by.

Clip tooling.jpg

Hey Mark, and yes I have been a Toolmaker for over 40 yrs. now.

I don't have anything specific in mind, and I probably wouldn't toss any side-actions at you, but it's good to know you have the means. I'm thinking more like AC vent vanes and straight-pull stuff like that - that it seems nobody's making yet? Maybe multi-cavity on a sprue or sub-gate...or a family-mold with vanes and the connector rod if the flow would balance. Stuff like that.

Again - just spit-ballin' here...will stop the thread hijack :)

I don't have anything specific in mind, and I probably wouldn't toss any side-actions at you, but it's good to know you have the means. I'm thinking more like AC vent vanes and straight-pull stuff like that - that it seems nobody's making yet? Maybe multi-cavity on a sprue or sub-gate...or a family-mold with vanes and the connector rod if the flow would balance. Stuff like that.

Again - just spit-ballin' here...will stop the thread hijack :)
No worries Mark. If a any time you have a part that needs to be made available to the Mopar world please don't hesitate to shoot me a request. If I can make it happen without jeopardizing anything I'll do my best. Trust me if I had complete control of the process I wouldn't think twice about it. I would consider it an honor to help the Mopar community continue it's endeavor to bring back our iconic muscle cars from the brink.

Looks like progress to me......Will you be using the white plastic like the originals? I know the black plastic is more friendly to heat for some reason. Not that it matters much to me one way or another since my car is not what the purists call correct anyway. Just a question.

Looks like progress to me......Will you be using the white plastic like the originals? I know the black plastic is more friendly to heat for some reason. Not that it matters much to me one way or another since my car is not what the purists call correct anyway. Just a question.
Was planning to run natural nylon 6/6 (white). I was also considering maybe some Delrin/Acetal for shits and grins, they both have similar shrinkages.

Probably all better than the plastic they used 50 years ago. Looking forward to getting a set from you.

clip_image001.jpg
clip.jpg

Okay guys we have Steering column support clips available now

PM me with a price. I will be taking a set of 2.

Awesome work! Thanks

Got a set of clips for my steering column resto.
I pressed on one as hard as I could to make it fit, then I noticed that the inner tube was not centered.
I had to carefully pry between the inner tube and outer shell to center the inner tube. Then I could snap these clips into place.

So yeah, these clips are really needed to center the inner tube and Skips clips are really tough.

Awesome stuff!

column.jpg

I pressed on one as hard as I could to make it fit, then I noticed that the inner tube was not centered.
I had to carefully pry between the inner tube and outer shell to center the inner tube. Then I could snap these clips into place.

So yeah, these clips are really needed to center the inner tube and Skips clips are really tough.

Awesome stuff!

View attachment 874005
Jonas you did a great job, column looks brand new

Awesome stuff!

View attachment 874005
One thing brother, you have the bracket on backwards

Awesome stuff!

View attachment 874005
5AA26F4A-9243-4BB5-B467-59C4F38AA378.jpeg
9AC35F68-AF6C-4D6F-9036-AD625419650D.jpeg

Hah! Thats why it was so tight at the top when trying to fit it.
Thats what you get for taking the car apart in pieces and waiting a long time before putting it together again.

Thanks!

Hah! Thats why it was so tight at the top when trying to fit it.
Thats what you get for taking the car apart in pieces and waiting a long time before putting it together again.

Thanks!
At least you were the one who took the car apart. Brought my current project home in boxes. Very frustrating not to be able to look back at pictures before disassembly, not to mention missing parts I was not aware of.....

Auto Transport Service
Back