• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Coronet: "Brakes" light on dash

68Coronet500!

Local time
8:06 AM
Reaction score
So my "Brakes" light on my dash mysteriously came on. I believe the only sensor in the car is for the parking brake and is a switch/button that turns the light on/off depending on the position of the emergency brake, is that correct?

Should the switch be universal for a Plymouth or Dodge? Looks like I just need to take off the trim piece to get to it but want to confirm that is the only way that light would come on on the dash.

Low brake reservoir?

Pretty simple, pull a wire off the park brake switch and see if the light goes out. Still on, it's the distribution valve switch activated.

There's a plunger switch in the distribution block that can light up the brake light if it gets out of position.

...I was going to reference @dadsbee but I see he posted as I was typing.

Those are kind of a pain to get back in position but I've done it.

Usually gets out of whack if the car is driven with low fluid and a hard brake application happens.

I forget if pulling the wire from the dist block turns out the light.

I believe the plunger moves because of an imbalance between the front and rear reservoirs.

I tried lifting the brake pedal and there isn't any play to do so. signs point to the parking brake switch?
Did ya try lifting the parking brake pedal? That still works on today's junk lol

Yeah, tried lifting the parking brake pedal and also pulled the wire from it and the damn light is still on.

Here are the pictures. The weird part is that when the parking brake is fully up, the whole assembly moves with the wire in it.

IMG-3225.jpg

IMG-3226.jpg

Never had a distribution valve that didn't recenter itself if the brakes where adjusted properly.
please take a look at the last post. should that whole plunger be moving when depressed? even when I completely unplug it, the light stays on.

the whole assembly moves with the wire in it.

please take a look at the last post. should that whole plunger be moving when depressed? even when I completely unplug it, the light stays on.
Yes, it's how it works. When the pedal gets pushed the entire thing moves forward and grounds out. Like I said if the light is still on it's your distribution valve switch.. or a wire shorted out to either switch. Pull the wire off of the distribution block switch..

Look at the brass valve block down on the frame rail... lots of brake lines & one wire.... Unplug that wire & see if the lights go out....

Found this photo on the web... No wire plugged in yet... But if you look on the front of the valve block between the lines you can see the switch...

1-26-42A.jpg

Dadsbee restoration services to the rescue !!!!! :drinks:

Look at the brass valve block down on the frame rail... lots of brake lines & one wire.... Unplug that wire & see if the lights go out....

Found this photo on the web... No wire plugged in yet... But if you look on the front of the valve block between the lines you can see the switch...

View attachment 1430171
Awesome. I’ll take a look and let you know how it goes!

If the piston is either right or left of center the switch you see in this picture will come out of the centering groove and press the switch in causing the brake light to come on. Until the brakes are corrected and the proportioning valve are re centered the light will remain on until its fixed or unplugged.
This is just an example and not exact copy of your valve. But the idea is the same.
rdification.net_board_tuts_brake-combo-valve.png

Last edited:
Ok, got it. That provides a good amount of detail.

So, is there anything wrong with me just unplugging the wire if I have no intention of using the parking brake?

Auto Transport Service
Back