• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 coronet hemi swap

penski61

Local time
3:30 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone , I'm trying to decide what to do . I originally bought.a 68 roller coronet 500 with the intention of doing a hemi swap but the body ended up having more rust issues than I wanted to deal with so I sold the car and the 6.1 hemi i had for it. Ended up picking up a 6.4 hemi last month and it's in the engine shop getting forged pistons and rods along with a cam , this motor I planned on putting in the next b body I purchased . Fast forward to know I have a 68 coronet 500 r/t clone being delivered tomorrow , it is a running driving car all original ( have to verify motor and trans, owner was older and couldn't see the numbers) the vin is 23h correct vin for a 383 from factory from what I read . So if it is a number matching car with 90k on it should I plan on rebuilding the 383 and try to sell the 6.4 or does it really matter that its numbers matching since it's a coronet 500 and not r/t or superbee . Honestly didnt think I'd find a running driving car especially 383 in my price range with body work pretty much done and in primer.

Screenshot_20201116-144119_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
do what makes you happy my road runner is numbers matching but i am putting a 440 in it

Hold on to the things you remove in case you change your mind. There isn't a ton of money in those parts. Put the Hemi in and have fun.

Sell the Hemi and use that $ to build a stout 383. My 2 cents!

thanks guys . holley is having there holleydays sale so went ahead and order their b body hemi swap brackets , 8 speed trans bracket , radiator , 3" exhaust and headers . all bolt on stuff except trans mount but if i ever wanted too i can swap back to the 383
now i just need to figure out what to do for upgraded suspension :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back