• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 coronet performer rpm intake

Local time
2:51 PM
Reaction score
I have a 68 coronet that I am building a 440 for. I was just wondering if an edelbrock performer rpm intake cause any clearance issues. It has just the stock flat hood. Thanks

You will need a drop air cleaner base.

I don’t have a drop base so I do have a nice dimple in my hood from the wing nut though Get a drop base.

hood clearance is a problem. The hood should close without an air filter, but not much room above the top of carb and hood.
I loosely crumple up some aluminum foil into a large ball, put it on top of the carb, and close the hood. Then check how much clearance there is after the foil is crushed.
I had an extra flat hood and put a 6-pack scoop on it so I could run a tall filter element.
When I went EFI, I used the edelbrock XT TPI type intake that has the front mount throttle, for clearance under a flat hood.

Tight and a drop base is required. I think 2.25” or 2.5” is shown. That was the deepest I could find. Note the hood insulation if you go back with it. All in I think there is 3/8” clear now.

7CC5173E-6B2E-403A-8C54-364C3A58513E.jpeg

I should also note the use of a 1/2” carb/insulator spacer under the carb for heat soak protection. Go ahead and run the fuel return line while you are in it as a vapor seperator is in your future.

I should also note the use of a 1/2” carb/insulator spacer under the carb for heat soak protection. Go ahead and run the fuel return line while you are in it as a vapor seperator is in your future.
On my RPM AirGap, I used a Holley Avenger 770, and the fast idle on the passenger side throttle shaft touched the manifold with a standard intake to carb base gasket.
I used the Holley 108-12 Carb base gasket kit that comes with the carb studs and nuts, I think it is 5/16" thick.

Auto Transport Service
Back