• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 GTX Restoration and Numbers

Garrick

Local time
5:52 AM
Reaction score
Well I've had this for 6 years and time to get started on it. Was told when I bought it was a numbers matching car. A big part of how I restore it will depend on the validity of that. If I can keep it numbers matching I will. I don't know if parts of the VIN should be on the parts or if it's just supposed to be dated for that era?

I'm attaching a bunch of photos, can someone help me decipher it? Thank you very much in advance!

Engine Block 8-29-67 2536430-6
Engine Block.jpg

Head 2843906-7 12277
Head.jpg

Head 2843908 1 12187
Head2.jpg

Radiator Support 88049 1
Radiator Suport2.jpg

Radiator Support G8R274487
Radiator Support.jpg

Transmission PK2801541K 2350 5266
Transmission.jpg

Transmission 2612
Transmission2.jpg

Near Trunk 2841301
Trunk.jpg

VIN RS23L8G195301
VIN Plate.jpg

Do you have any stampings on the top rear of the block and the top front of the trans case? If so those should match the last 8 digits in your VIN. What is the scheduled production date on your fender tag? The rad support numbers and trunk lip should match the SO number on your fender tag.

Yea check trans and engine for SO number stampings on top of bell area where they meet up by oil sender. Also.....post your fender tag so we can see the SO number and make sure that matches the body stampings.

Yea check trans and engine for SO number stampings on top of bell area where they meet up by oil sender. Also.....post your fender tag so we can see the SO number and make sure that matches the body stampings.
The numbers stamped on the top of the engine and trans (if it has them) are different than the SO number. Those should be the last 8 digits of the VIN.

The date code for your transmission (following the 10,000 day calendar) is 1/3/68. Check your scheduled production date on your fender tag as well as the assembly date of the engine, stamped on the raised pad next to the distributor. Should be D440 HP (along with the assm. date)

The numbers stamped on the top of the engine and trans (if it has them) are different than the SO number. Those should be the last 8 digits of the VIN.

You are correct I forgot about that. I had in my head the SO numbers on the core support and the rear trunk gutter. VIN on mid to late engines and transmissions and SO number on the body.

First post since 2013, congrats! Fender tag and build sheet would help too. You also have stamped numbers on the oil pan rail by the trans. There’s another 10k day date stamp there too.

Here’s what you 68 stamps should look like. Top of the bell housing and engine. Should look like a mirror image.
B709C5D4-462C-40F3-88D2-5045BF3DDC94.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back