• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Roadrunner body and engine numbers location help needed

Hotrod20

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
Going to look at a 68 runner 10 hours away. Owner not very helpful in his communications.
The owner claims matching numbers. I can decode a 69 b body, but 68 is different.
Are the numbers on the radiator support and trunk lip like 69's?
The engine numbers are located on the rear of the block at the sending unit? and on the trans bellhousing?
Asking for help on identifying the factory body and engine numbers for authenticity.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
HR20

I have 2 Lynch Rd. cars, and the rad support for another. None of them have the SO# on the rad support. I also have a St. Louis car, that does have the SO on the rad support.

my lynch rd 68 has # on rad support and trunk gutter...... #s will match # on fender tag...... partial vin on trans and engine on top where they meet, but not all 68s have the partial vin

I have 2 Lynch Rd. cars, and the rad support for another. None of them have the SO# on the rad support. I also have a St. Louis car, that does have the SO on the rad support.

strange....... I have yet to see any unstamped core supports, unless they have been replaced......not sure what year they started, I pretty much deal with 67-up

strange....... I have yet to see any unstamped core supports, unless they have been replaced......not sure what year they started, I pretty much deal with 67-up
On the St. Louis car, it’s on the engine side of the rad support like my ‘70 Charger. I can’t see it anywhere on the 2 Lynch Rd. cars, or this rad support from another.
63F43E3D-1CE4-4CF1-8DB0-C838986177B8.jpeg
5128F4CD-6202-4CB8-868E-FF3B875D35EE.jpeg

All 4 cars are Satellites.

hmmmmmmmm........

When I get home I’ll remove that antifreeze decal and look under it. I thought I did that on the wagon though.

St. Louis cars seem to be on the engine side of the rad support. And Lynch Rd. cars are on the top in most cases.

Your comment "owner not helpful in communications" has my suspicious eyebrows raised. In what manner, avoidance, uncertainty, or ignorance ? I wouldn't travel 20 hours unless I was fairly sure what I was going to see.

Yeah. My ‘68 G, St. Louis has the SO on the rad support as well.

I will look in a few. I just so happen to be at the house having new springs put on the garage door. View attachment 1526827
I see you have a higher production #. It would be interesting if your car has the SO on the rad support. I know during ‘68, quite a few production changes occurred. The vent pulls changed early from the round ‘67 style to the square “vent” labeled type. The 0-150 speedometer in the GTX changed to 0-15, x10. And the ashtray changed from a slider to a hinged version. Those changes were in around late ‘67. Strange thing about the body numbers in ‘68… since they used the SO, they only appeared on the fender tag, broadcast sheet, and monroney sticker. Most people scraped off the window sticker. And the broadcast sheet wasn’t an item delivered with every car. So that leaves the fender tag, that got “lost” in a lot of instances.

Auto Transport Service
Back