• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 road runner restoration, don't laugh its paid for.

Very nice, you'll be able to buy allot of goodies with the money you'll save starting with something so clean. Ignore these old farts, 18's look pretty sweet on B Bodies in general but so do 15"s with a little width. It's your car and that's all that matters "build it the way you want".

Build how you want it & drive it like you stole it... keep up the progress & best of luck, it's great car to start with....

i stayed late and made some repair panels. heres the left rear window corner. gonna wipe it with some all metal tomorrow then mud. hope to prime rt door, rt fender, and left fender tomorrow night and start painting pieces maybe sat. its been a while since ive done metal fab, used to welding new panels on and painting. lol go easy on by work please. :bootyshake: 20130821_174953.jpg

I'm not laughing. I bought this car in October, 1975, when I was 18. I had to sell it in late 1989 or early 1990 to pay for my last semester of college. I have always regretted selling it. I am still trying to find pictures from when I was driving it. I know I have some somewhere and will post them when I find them. I think the reason it survived so well is that it hasn't been running since I sold it and it has always been in storage.

I would check over the repair work on the rear quarters. They were pretty beat up when I had the car. If I was working on the car, I would put the white vinyl top back on. It looks totally different with the vinyl top. I would also convert to disk brakes. The drum setup combined with the 383 magnum was a little sketchy even by late '70s standards.

The bottom line is it is your car now. Build it the way you want it. If you want 18 inch magnums and no vinyl top, go for it.

Al, glad you joined. I hope you can find the pics, that should be entertaining lol. Im in the stage of the car where I have aggravating nasty work that doesnt show much progress for the amount of work you have to do. The fenders, hood, and doors are sripped, mudded, and primed. The right frame rail was about 3/4 up from the left. I put it on my frame machine and got it equal. the right inner fender needed some work so ive finished that as well. The mud work on the roof is near done as well. I hope to be painting pieces in a week or two. When we stripped the fenders and doors, I had a pleasant surprise, absolutely no rust. I feel like ive won the lottery. Lol we changed the lower tie bar on the radiator support because it had rolled off the front of a car trailer and bent it pretty bad. Guess where I found the new support. In the trunk. One of the previous owners bought a nice used radiator support for it. I posted some pics of the a-pillar after I took the weatherstrip off. Its clean as new. The pic of the numbers is the trunk jamb with the part number in it I guess?

Attachments

• 20130907_143728.jpg
    20130907_143728.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 598
  • 20130901_092034.jpg
    20130901_092034.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 584
  • 20130901_092158.jpg
    20130901_092158.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 608
  • 20130901_090409.jpg
    20130901_090409.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 596
looking good...

There's always the "it's your car, do what you want with it" argument, but these cars look better with tires than with garden hoses. :yes: Great solid body on this one!

If my car looked like that I would of been done by now!. Jealous!. I still gotta tackle replacing my whole front clip from an accident :(

I am currently in a restoration of a 68 RR myself and let me say it is a ton of work! Following the media blast, I found alot more issues than once suspected. The rot at the bottom corners of the rear glass is netorious on all these cars. I actually had to have a guy custom fabricate and replace my cut outs. Great job on this find and I agree with the orig. motor. Thats what I plan on doing with mine.

that looks rock solid Jeff! I agree on the 18"slooking too big. but the bottom line is it's your car, do it to make you happy, but i'd stay with 15s.
Post up some pics on the road runner site if you would. the guys would love to see your beauty.

i decoded my fender tag today and this is what i found. the only thing i didnt know was turn signals on the fenders. is that a desirable option that i should put back on them? another question, i finished rebuilding the engine and painting it aqua. i ordered the right plug wire holders, are they supposed to be engine color or black? thanks guys
CAR: Plymouth RoadRunner 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 383cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: F70x14 White Side Wall, steel belted
BUILD DATE: April 27.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Split Bench Seats. White on Red Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Red Paint.
OTHER: Burgundy Metallic Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:
25: Drip Rail Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
P6: Rear Seat Speaker
R1: AM Radio
Y7: White Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
k7: Passenger Outside Manual Mirror
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

yes the fender turn signals are desirable.

Been plugging away on the drivetrain and body. Bored motor 30 with new pistons, small cam and valve job. Stayed late tonight and got the motor pretty much ready to go in. Converted dist to pertronics. Found an original air filter on ebay. Trans cleaned and rebuilt. All the sheetmetal is ready for paint. Hope to be done with all the spraying by next week. I ordered classic air and legendary interior. Heres a few pics of the engine.

Attachments

• 20131001_182751.jpg
    20131001_182751.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 443
  • 20131001_182804.jpg
    20131001_182804.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 422
  • 20131001_182824.jpg
    20131001_182824.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 441
Great project any one that is laughing is an idiot. you have a great project their.

- - - Updated - - -

if you order your legendary interior from dante Mopars you can save 20 percent!

i stayed late and made some repair panels. heres the left rear window corner. gonna wipe it with some all metal tomorrow then mud. hope to prime rt door, rt fender, and left fender tomorrow night and start painting pieces maybe sat. its been a while since ive done metal fab, used to welding new panels on and painting. lol go easy on by work please. :bootyshake:View attachment 135376
Your work looks pretty darn good to me. I see what looks like a few small holes at the top and just wanted to make sure you knew to seal them up by either welding or putting seam sealer on the back side. "Not nitpicking" just hate to see a blister start where moisture came threw. I know I sound like a broken record on here about sealing things up "just trying to help". Your motor looks great "nice job"

I would have to agree. I would weld them up if they are holes don't count on allmetal or duraglass. i would clean and seal the backside of anywhere you weld also just as a precaution anywhere you weld makes a "hot spot" that will rust a lot easier than the plain steel. Awsome clean car will be a sweet ride when you are done. Keep up the good work.

Auto Transport Service
Back