• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 road runner restoration, don't laugh its paid for.

jeff ashley

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
hey guys ive started on this car, got it taken apart and worked a door and fender. im so grateful this car is this clean and not much rust. it was a vinyl top car so it has a little bit of rot on the corners of the back window. im not even gonna buy patch panels because the rust is so minimal. ill just brake what metal is needed. going to daytona in november is my goal so im prob. not gonna try to convert to disc before hand, ill just wait till after to do it. the car is original pp1 red so im gonna paint it back that color. gonna ditch the vinyl top though. im gonna buy some 18 in year one magnums for it. any input on them is welcomed. well heres some pics so far of what ive got. any input is always welcome as this is my first mopar restoration. thanks jeff roadrunner02.jpgroadrunner03.jpgroadrunner05.jpgroadrunner06.jpg

roadrunner02.jpg roadrunner03.jpg roadrunner05.jpg roadrunner06.jpg

You weren't kidding when you said you had a solid car. Rear window corners and maybe a spot by the battery? You are lucky to find such a nice starting project. You asked - so I will give my thoughts on the Y.O. wheels. I'm sure they are decent quality, but I think big wheels on our cars should be 15".

Looks like a really solid car. Don't find them like that in Pa. Good luck on the resto. I would think about puttin the black vinyl top back on. I think that would make the car. Bruce

You weren't kidding when you said you had a solid car. Rear window corners and maybe a spot by the battery? You are lucky to find such a nice starting project. You asked - so I will give my thoughts on the Y.O. wheels. I'm sure they are decent quality, but I think big wheels on our cars should be 15".

i concur with what you said X2 on the wheels

heres a few more pics i took this am with my phone while i was working on it. this car was from south dakota and it was owned by a man named albert spangler in the 70s. i talked to him on the phone one time and he had some insight into the car but if any other guys from northern u.s. know this car any history would be appreciated.
roadrunner09.jpgroadrunner10.jpgroadrunner11.jpgroadrunner01.jpg

If some one laughed at that they don't deserve to be looking at this forum!!!!

If some one laughed at that they don't deserve to be looking at this forum!!!!

X2. That's a brand new car compared to the one I am currently in the middle of.

thats a great find! use that 18 inch wheel money for something else and go with some nice 15s....
bestwishes..

Im gonna put the original engine back in it. Ill rebuild the eng and tranny. I really wish it was a 4speed like my first rr but im not gonna change it.

That is a great looking start to your project and a solid car. Nothing to laugh at here. :headbang:

thats an awesome car,aint NOTHIN to laugh at.
i like it

I'm laughing but it's out of amazement on how great the condition of your car is. I don't know how long you might have been surfing on this site but there are a few cars on here that I would have been afraid to load on a trailer! And these guys totally restored them and did them right.

You're off to a great start!

What was the original engine, 383 ?

Thanks for the compliments guys. The original engine is a 383/727. I checked the pad by the dist and it is a hp. It was bolted in place when I got it. I called the guy that had it in the 70s and he said the original motor was painted red white and blue. I looked closely and sure enough the water pump and intake is white and the valve covers are red. Lol he said he sold it to pay for his last semester of college. Not sure who had it shipped from s. Dakota to ga. He also told me it wasnt driven since abou 77. Im amazed its so solid.

Im gonna put the original engine back in it. Ill rebuild the eng and tranny. I really wish it was a 4speed like my first rr but im not gonna change it.
hey Jeff, if your not going to change the motor or tranny, why change the wheel dia to 18? imo, i would def stick with the fifteens. sweet *** car though, and considering from S.D. p.s. keep us posted on pics!

Media Blast that car. It will expose it to its bare-self, and, you will know for SURE how good (or bad) it really is.

it's good you are going t keep it as close to original. It is a nice surprise that the window corners have that little of rust there. just keep an eye on the metal when you start taking the rust off so it isn't too thin.

Auto Transport Service
Back