• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 roadrunner?

Gary_gtx67

Local time
10:27 PM
Reaction score
I happend to stop by a slave yard today and saw a 1968 roadrunner up on some stands for sale. In my mind I'm thinking sweet looking over the car I found that it has a 440 auto 3.55 sure grips with a 489 casting all good news so far right?... Well then comes the body......!!!:-( needs both new rear quaters and new trunk pan due to rust. No hood or hinges missing the rear quater glass no radiator had hacked up holes in the tranny tunnel. So by now I'm thinking about $2,500 -$3,000 is a fair price. Right??? Well guess what I go ask the guy how much cash? His reply $10k yes I said $10k!!! Told him he was a little off on his price then he told me to leave his property! What an a**!! aka idiot!

$10k ouch!.......maybe he lives in a tree and makes hash cookies with the pixies, at least that would partially explain his delusional price.

68 runners had 383s or hemis, right? So, the 440 could not have been original. Maybe it was a hemi car. If so, that seems a reasonable price. If not, the guy is a few plug wires short of a set...

Another car that will sit and rot to the point of being to far gone because the owner will never do anything with it and thinks it's worth more then it is. SAD!!

Well I would love to take pics but the guy won't let me back on the property. And yes it is very sad that the car will now sit and rot even more)-; !

You are correct in 68 it was either a 383 or a hemi the 440 was a engine option for the Gtx in that year and it is amazing the prices that people want for rotted out cars

Yeah, likely some wannabe that watched too many auction shows, and has NO idea the amount of hours, and money that goes into these cars to get them to the auction place.

This guy has always thrown out high dollar prices on his cars. Makes me wonder if only gives me the high prices because I'm only 26 and thinks I'm just some young punk that's just going to part it out?...

440 wasn't an "option" for a GTX in 68. It was the standard engine, and the Hemi was the only engine option available

Thats what I meant 69 Runner I guess I should have chose my words better. I think he is like all the other guys you see selling these cars and thinks because they go for so much at auction restored that his is worth alot also just for the name plates

Years ago (1995) I saw a 67 GTX for sale by an old gas station out in the middle of nowhere.

It was totally hammered, motor locked up, interior a complete mess. For a sweet price of $26,000 it could have been all mine. It sat there for years, til it finally disappeared. I'm pretty sure it didn't sell for what was on the sign.

Well I would love to take pics but the guy won't let me back on the property. And yes it is very sad that the car will now sit and rot even more)-; !
Trust me, you aren't the first one and you won't be the last. Sadly, it's a familiar story across the country. Guy sits on a car, asking silly money (if he'll even discuss selling it) the car rots, the guy dies, the kids sell it to the scrap man. Happens over and over.

Get a friend to go there and act like a serious buyer so we can see if it was a numbers matching car (sneaky) I want the pics lol...

-hate to see great old mopars/parts where people think its worth soo much when its just car parts

I'd ask the clown if he would trade for a gold plated toilet seat, or maybe a screen door off a submarine. What the hell.....10K!!! Jackassery! **Rest in peace Roadrunner**

Some people are out of ther mind. I saw a recent add on craigslist that said 1970 plymouth duster slant six just needs paint, rare care. Easy resto...The pics the car looked like it was hit by a train and left at the bottom of the ocean for 20 years.
The auto auctions are ruining the hobby for the little guy. The see a hemi cuda and they think there slant six duster will pull in 6 figures.

On the other hand I have asked unreasonable amounts for my cars mainly cause I didnt want to sell them.

Auto Transport Service
Back