• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69' Bird dash removal

Azndude

Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
I need advice on the best way, to remove the dash on a 1969 Roadrunner. I want to repaint some metal parts and change out the viynal gauge cluster pading. It's a bi*ch to take off... and I'm wondering if there is any easier way to get the bolts on the front part of the dash (by the fire wall) or am I going to have to remove the front window? If that is not necessary, someone please share some advice.

Thanks!!

Ben

You have to remove the front windshield to get to the bolts. Even if you could get in there with a thin open end 1/8 turn at a time the screws may be too long and hit the glass, thereby preventing them from coming out. Just bite the bullet and take out the glass (cut it out). It's not that hard, plus you may solve a leak issue. You will be glad you did.

All items involved are: Steering column; pedal support bracket; strut braces near the pedal support; two bolts on either end down low; the bulkhead connector in the firewall; wiring connector to the rear of the car (gray one by the parking brake); heater control cables. Did I miss anything?

It is so nice to work on the dash on the bench, or the floor in the comfort of your living room!! Yeah, I'm single:tongueflap:

Holy monkey!! I was hoping that the front window didn't have to be removed. I know once the dash is off, everything will be a cake walk. Oh well, if it has to be... then she's coming off! I'll post pictures of the progress, when we start. Hopefully, it'll help anyone else down the line who needs a picture reference. Any suggestions on what type of paint to use, on the vinyl? Haha!! I just noticed I misspelled vinyl on my above post (viynal)!! LoL!!

Ben

After a few hours upsidedown with your head where your *** ought to be, trying to gut the dash and slicing and dicing eleven knuckles in the process, suddenly, taking the winshield out doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

After a few hours upsidedown with your head where your *** ought to be, trying to gut the dash and slicing and dicing eleven knuckles in the process, suddenly, taking the winshield out doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

I take it, me and you have something in common now :Groaner: ...poor knuckles will never be the same... talk about blood, sweat, and tears. Btw, I'm thinking about making a better glove compartment vs. the lousy paper contraption Mopar came up with. Has anyone fabricated one on this forum before?

Ben

Someone was making a fiberglas box years back, but damned if I know who. But the new (repop) cardboard boxes generally are not as brittle as our 40 year old junk.

Ha, funny you should mention that! Me and a buddy fabed one up years ago for his 69 Charger R/T, but it was out of the same type of black paper material because he happened to have some lying around. It came out good and looked just like the original! Quite possibly the first repo glove box!

I supose you can go to Tap Plastics or order from McMaster-Carr a sheet of 1/16" ABS (see P/N 8586K552) http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3523/=16ag8l

Unfold your old one and use as a template, and presto!!

would a plastic A body one be at all the same size?

Auto Transport Service
Back