• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger. 426 Hemi. EFI E85

Thanks!

Next matter to address is intake air temperature. Seemed -ok- when I first got it running but it was rather cool outside. In even normal or slightly warmer weather the intake temps are well, not good. Say 50-60deg above ambient.

For months I struggled to make a decision on how I would approach this.

Decided I definitely didn't want a hood scoop.

I thought maybe try to duct from the front/grill area but it's rather tight.

Cowl plenum is logical but I don't really like the look of pulling from the corners (that are direct to the cowl plenum)

Kept thinking the best would be Nascar style but using the area I have available rather than deleting the wiper motor.

What makes it complicated is, at the center of the firewall the cowl plenum is separate/behind and also oddly shaped.

That was a deterrent and I wondered if I could do it nicely.

Finally I decided that was the best solution so that is the way it would have to be done.

I started with cutting the firewall and making a template for the duct flange. (and putting rivet nuts around the perimeter)

Then made some templates to decide how large the hole in the cowl plenum needed to be, marked and cut the plenum.

This was rather difficult as I couldn't directly see what I was doing and had to cut it while using a mirror.

I then made a flange to seal the perimeter of the hole in the plenum using the piece I cut out as a guide.

IMG_3328.jpg
IMG_3315.jpg

I held that flange in place on the cowl with binder clips then made templates for the side pieces with poster board.

It couldn't be installed as one piece so ended up with a section that's installed after the duct is in place.

IMG_3332.jpg
IMG_3335.JPG
IMG_3334.jpg

Welded, painted and ready to install. I used self adhesive foam strip at the firewall and toyota rtv at the cowl plenum and lower insert.

IMG_3346.jpg
IMG_3345.jpg
IMG_3344.jpg
IMG_3343.jpg

Now must be integrated with the air cleaner. Looking at the current base, just doesn't appear to have a great shape for flowing air. Big step right at the bottom of the filter ID and no radius into the throttle bodies.

IMG_3379.jpg

So I guess now is a good time to try and improve that. I started with a couple of universal offset drop bases. Trimmed the center, then the base. More to come :)

IMG_3367.jpg
IMG_3369.jpg
IMG_3373 (1).jpg
IMG_3374.jpg
IMG_3377.jpg

Your air system is giving me some great ideas for mine. I too cut into the cowl for a NASCAR style setup but got stumped back in 17 which I stopped at because we were getting ready to move. I had thoughts of forward direction awhile back but I looked at an intact 64 and see that idea can't happen so back to the rear. When I get back to that area, I'll look at yours again for more ideas. I have to deal with clearance over the rails and t/b to hood clearance. Ideas forming up now that I've seen your direction.

Had a bit more time to work on this. This is the base welded up. Bead rolled with spoiler dies to drop it to match the duct.

IMG_3410.jpg
IMG_3411.jpg
IMG_3417.jpg

Dropped the inside edge of the top so the chrome dome would fit into it then rolled down the perimeter.

IMG_3436.jpg
IMG_3437.jpg
IMG_3438.jpg
IMG_3440.jpg

Got sidetracked a bit as I received the driveshaft I ordered from the driveshaft shop. Put the Charger on jack stands since another car has been occupying my lift for a while.

Driveshaft is 3.8" carbon tube and front CV, rated to 8,650rpm. Also swapped out the kyb's for Vikings.

IMG_3447.jpg
IMG_3451.jpg
IMG_3453.jpg

I haven't driven it yet, want to finish the induction first.

Not sure what your goals are but my car may not be any good data for other people. It's really heavy, pretty low and still on leaf springs/torsion bars.

IMG_3473.jpg
IMG_3474.jpg

Lots of comparison between kyb and bilstein but few with Viking so interested in hearing your thoughts.

Lots of comparison between kyb and bilstein but few with Viking so interested in hearing your thoughts.
I run Viking triple adjustables but mine is a radial car so it probably doesn’t translate into the street car world.

Auto Transport Service
Back