• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger. 426 Hemi. EFI E85

DanielG I appreciate it but do not see that happening. Would be glad to assist with any info if you decide to build one like it though :)

armudster, thank you! My experience so far is only a couple of hundred miles but I think they will be perfect.

I had the same concerns as you and before driving the car actually masked off the inside front fenders and did several layers of catalyzed bedliner as I was concerned about rocks from the tires breaking the paint from inside out.

Also bought some temporary paint film I didn't end up using as they are not throwing a -ton- of rocks like a typical drag tire.

The tires I had on it before were BFG's and they had so little traction with this setup it was rather useless and thought there was a good chance I would put it in a ditch or just not drive it hard.

These seem to be a great balance of traction and still capable of tire spin depending on how it's driven.

That meaning, this engine being higher rpm based, if I go wide open from a lower rpm it hooks rather well and just hazes the tires as it gets to higher rpm.

If I short shift it well, like the video it's just a good rolling burnout.

After reading through the old Chrysler testing documents on Aerowarriors I decided to attempt improving some things.

First I made panels to block the grilles so it takes all cooling system air from under the bumper..

IMG_2647.jpg
IMG_2638.jpg
IMG_2637.jpg
IMG_2636.jpg
IMG_2651.jpg
IMG_2650.jpg

Next I wanted a front spoiler. I tried a Camaro spoiler but didn't love the looks and also thought I would prefer if it was in the recess of the valance rather than drilling the valance and bolting through it.

So, I made one.

IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

Finished it up with some satin black. Made a brace and attached with solid rivets. (that I will probably paint as well)

IMG_2733.jpg
IMG_2732.jpg
IMG_2731.jpg
IMG_2730.jpg
IMG_2729.jpg
IMG_2728.jpg
IMG_2727.jpg
IMG_2726.jpg

Next was building a radiator shroud and blocking off other lower airflow to the sides. (not quite finished)

IMG_3029.jpg
IMG_3028.jpg
IMG_3032.jpg
IMG_3031.jpg
IMG_3030.jpg
IMG_3035.jpg
IMG_3033.jpg
IMG_3026.jpg
IMG_3036.jpg
IMG_3068.jpg

Not sure if a -finished- update will really matter as it's harder to see painted but so far seems to be working out great.

86deg outside today and temp gauge wouldn't touch 170 after an hour of driving. (E85 helps for sure)

IMG_3102.jpg
IMG_3101.jpg
IMG_3096.jpg
IMG_3111.jpg
IMG_3108.jpg
IMG_3107.jpg
IMG_3106.jpg
IMG_3105.jpg
IMG_3100.jpg
IMG_3104.jpg

After driving this a bit I decided it needed more gear. Heavy car and high-ish rpm engine. I wanted to go from 4.10 (which I changed once from 3.54) to 4.56.

That would mean new ring/pinion. Differential, axles, bearings, seals and a bit of a suck job with the shims under the diff bearings.

So, decided to just remove the original Dana and order up an S60 with 4.56, truetrac, 35spline axles and mopar pattern housing ends that accept big ford tapered bearings.

I'm now past the 3rd heat cycle so giving it a bit more throttle and loving it. Feels perfect :)

IMG_3252.jpg
IMG_3251.jpg
IMG_3250.jpg
IMG_3292.jpg

4.56 with the low first gear in that box? Or do you have the close ratio gears before you changed the od?

86deg outside today and temp gauge wouldn't touch 170 after an hour of driving. (E85 helps for sure)
The charger needed those ducts from the factory. Would you be willing to share your global file? I just put mine on E85 and don’t have much data.

4.56 with the low first gear in that box? Or do you have the close ratio gears before you changed the od?
It's a 2.87 first gear

Looking at it another way, with a 7,800rpm shift point it's reaching the same MPH per gear as the same trans with 3.55 gears and a 6000rpm shift point.

The more miles I put on the road race tires the better they hook up.

It’s totally usable due to being 4100lbs and higher rpm nature of the engine.

TKO600 which I swapped the .64 overdrive out for a .82. Dana that I swapped the 3.55's for 4.10's.
I only read the first post about your car, but I also switched from the factory 3.54 R&P gears to 4.10 in the Dana 60 of my 70 440 6bbl Roadrunner when I switched from the factory 18 spline a833 to the Passon a855 with a .70 5th gear.
Went from 3,500 RPMs at 70ish to 2,750, and 1st - 4th are a lot more fun.

Wow this is a cool *** build! Taking the old school stuff and making it new school!! This is a badass build. Am using the terminator x on my car with dual sync distributor . I see you put a crank sensor on yours! Very well built car sir! My stock 440 runs like a scolded dog now. I bet that hemi is just loving everybit of what you throw at it. My car will be on e85 as well Once I get the built engine for it

Auto Transport Service
Back