• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 charger lug nut torque

Stegs

Local time
11:38 PM
Reaction score
Wondering what the spec is on the lugnuts for a 69 charger?

Also, who can suggest a decent priced (50ish dollar) torque wrench?

I was told to stay away from craftsman, so im thinking lowes/home depot/menards? maybe tractor supply?

For wheels most are ok just release the tension when not in use
owner manual should have spec or your local tire store and probably about 95 to 100 lb

I questioned the mechanic who is doing the front end alignment on my car about this today. My car is a 71 Charger. I told him about the 65 ft lbs stated in the service manual and that is what I had been doing. He said 65 is not enough.. He torques them to 100 ft lbs..

Is he correct or not??

I questioned the mechanic who is doing the front end alignment on my car about this today. My car is a 71 Charger. I told him about the 65 ft lbs stated in the service manual and that is what I had been doing. He said 65 is not enough.. He torques them to 100 ft lbs..

Is he correct or not??
He's an idiot!

He's an idiot!
That’s great.. So I should loosen all my lug nuts and re-torque them at 65 ft lbs like I was doing?

This “idiot” told me the “correct” way to determine if a rear end has a Sure-Grip in it without having to unbolt the casing and look inside it.

The method: With rear wheels off the ground, put transmission in neutral, rotate driveshaft by hand, if both wheels turn in the same direction, it has a Sure-Grip. This test confirmed I have a Sure-Grip differential..

Later today, I talked to a man local to me that professionally restores classic muscle cars including many Mopars. He confirmed this as being the most accurate Sure-Grip test. As opposed to just rotating one wheel by hand and checking if the other wheel rotates in the same or opposite direction.

In the case of my car, when rotating one wheel by hand, the other wheel rotates in the opposite direction. Which made me think my 8 3/4 rear had an open differential.

Two black marks on the road and both of the old rear tires being worn down equally to the point of almost being bald told me Sure-Grip. But I wasn’t convinced because of the rotate one wheel and watch what the other one does kind of test (Nick’s Garage claimed this rotate one wheel as being an accurate test by the way).

It becomes difficult to know who to believe? It’ll be interesting to see, on here, which one of those two tests you guys think is more accurate..

It depends if a clutch or cone suregrip
but most diffs you can tell by jacking up and rotate wheel and if drag rotating while in gear or park it is not open
A lot of new factory diffs have no preload and feel like open
Check with Cranky

That’s great.. So I should loosen all my lug nuts and re-torque them at 65 ft lbs like I was doing?
Let's just say it's not too smart for the guy to tell you to overtorque the lug nuts by over 50% from spec. If he'd said 70 ft-lbs I could live with that on a 1/2-20 stud, but 100ft-lbs day after day is asking for tension failure or nut stripping at the least... let alone any successful attempt at you changing that thing on the side of the road with a tire iron.

As for the rear diff I have yet to see a 60/70 era rear diff where that turning one tire didn't confirm a sure grip / posi. I have both clutch and cones sitting in my shop and they all do the same thing. Really curious what you have for differential guts in your 8 3/4 that the wheels rotate in opposite directions yet it's a sure grip.

Last edited:
Turning the driveshaft is not accurate. You are turning the carrier that way, and with no drag on either wheel, both will turn the same direction.
Turn one wheel, same direction from the other side, sure grip. Opposite direction, open, or completely wasted cone suregrip.
Moparguy68, its 10 to 1 that you have an open differential. Maybe 50 to 1.
Edit: as for torque wrench, check you tube for comparison tests of $10 harbor freight versus $300 snap on. Lets just say, i put my engines together with a $10 hf. It is sure more than good enough to put a wheel on.

Last edited:
Hell I am still using a old SK beam torque wrench. :D

Lug nut torque depends on the type of wheel.
Factory spec for a factory wheel with the OEM studs and lug nuts is 65 for B-bodies, 55 for A-bods, and that's perfectly adequate.
Modern aluminum wheels with the thick center hub? 90 MINIMUM....
I started my Torq-Thrust Ds at 75 and they loosened after every drive until I got to 90 (or maybe it's 95) lb/ft.

For comparison-
My old '92 Ram = 105lb/ft (1/2-20 studs) Current truck ('04 Ram/factory 20"wheels) calls for 130 lb/ft but the studs are 9/16".
Wife's Ford Edge = 105 lb/ft (12mm x 1.5 studs, equivalent to 1/2")

Moral of the story is use the factory's recommended torque for the application!

Auto Transport Service
Back