• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger quarter extension gap

mopar4don

Local time
1:28 PM
Reaction score
I don't think I should have a 1/4 gap under the bottom edge of the extension should I?

How do I fix this? Tap the metal out? Add filler metal?
20220209_174921.jpg

20220209_174901.jpg

20220209_174717.jpg

Last edited:
What about adding metal to the lower part of the trunk area where the 2 meet? Fur it out ? When the trunk lid is shut does all line up?

Deck lid (gray) gaps are in the ball park

shows the pass side gap to deck filler
20220209_195703.jpg

driver side
20220209_195729.jpg

pass side
20220209_195647.jpg

driver side gap to deck filler
20220209_195736.jpg

Last edited:
Don have you got another set of end caps to try,the eye brow will cover the gap.the only way i see to close the gap is to grind some of the back side on the outer edge.I would try it on a junk set to see if it works.

Something does not look right. here is my untouched 69 when I took it apart.

000_0921.JPG 000_0920.JPG

To me it looks like the rear tail light panel was not correctly mounted. It is to far forward. Worse on the right and still off on the left. That why you have that step on the right. The corner trim pieces do not cover a gap. The extension pieces should fit flush to the tail panel.

To me it looks like the rear tail light panel was not correctly mounted. It is to far forward. Worse on the right and still off on the left. That why you have that step on the right. The corner trim pieces do not cover a gap. The extension pieces should fit flush to the tail panel.

Those 53 year old extentions are usually somewhat deformed . Just bend them by Hand. To close the gap.

When you say to far forward do you mean it was flattened out. And to fix it I would need to push it out? Or in other words from inside the trunk push it rearward?

When you say to far forward do you mean it was flattened out. And to fix it I would need to push it out? Or in other words from inside the trunk push it rearward?
It is hard to tell by the pictures. To me the tail panel is welded in wrong. The tops of the quarters and trunk seem ok. I would be curious on getting a measurement from the trunk lid lower lip to the tail panel in a few places. My car is all together but I might be able to get some measurements.

It is hard to tell by the pictures. To me the tail panel is welded in wrong. The tops of the quarters and trunk seem ok. I would be curious on getting a measurement from the trunk lid lower lip to the tail panel in a few places. My car is all together but I might be able to get some measurements.
I will get some tomarrow after work. If you have the time and get some numbers I will check them. Thank you

Agree. Trying to bend those end caps will not turn out well....
I also agree. I believe the extensions are die cast aluminum. Something that would tend to break easily. But hey what do I know!

I also agree. I believe the extensions are die cast aluminum. Something that would tend to break easily. But hey what do I know!
I think they are pot metal. But regardless, they wont bend much.

Auto Transport Service
Back