• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger Stalls

Data Plate

Local time
2:15 PM
Reaction score
My buddy has a 69 Charger RT 440 car and if he makes a hard stop the engine stalls, if he stops normally it ok any ideas what it would stall on a hard stop, Thanks

Check your float levels and make sure it isn't set too low and causing the fuel to flow away from the jets when heavy braking. This is especially a problem on a holley design.

If the rear float level is to high, it could spill over on hard braking, flood the engine, and cause it to stall. I ran into that on one if my cars once. That was with a Quick Fuel carb.

^^^ Shoulda mentioned this also.....I have had this exact issue on my quick fuel carb as well.

What kind of carb is your friend using?

Yes, could be either issue. Float level needs to be just right. I like them just below the site holes on street driven cars and a little higher where fuel trickles out on drag cars if using Holley carbs. (Also jet extensions on a drag car as well).

Everyone thinks its the float so ill adjust it hopefully that's it, he has a Holley 750 Double pumper on the car

Although, I did have one of my Chargers once that would stall upon slowing down coming to a stop. Would start right back up. Wound up being the engine harness at the bulk head. One of the retaining clips was broke off. The shake of the engine coming to an idle was just enough it would shut off. Installed new harness, still driving it today.

Everyone thinks its the float so ill adjust it hopefully that's it, he has a Holley 750 Double pumper on the car

Just remember to check both front and rear float bowls and get them dialed in. :thumbsup:

You could extend the bowl vent on top of the carb, just cut a piece of fuel line that fits snug on the tubing. Fuel can slosh out of there, too.
Also, there are fuel bowl vent baffles available for Holley carbs for that problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back