• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet front disc conversion

R6RaVEN37

Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
I currently have power drum brakes all around. I am wanting to convert the front to disc. I have been doing some research on it and I see there are a ton of different kits out there that are available and I know the spindles need to be changed. My question is can I get a kit that has just the spindles, rotors, calipers and associated hardware and use my existing booster and master cylinder, or do I have to replace the booster and master cylinder as well? Also, do I need to add a proportioning valve? Any help would be appreciated.

There are also kits where you can use the existing spindles.

Leed Brakes uses your spindles, looks like oe calipers, and fits 14 wheels if that is an issue. I would think booster is fine, quite sure master cylinder needs to be swapped and a rear metering valve installed.

Leed Brakes uses your spindles, looks like oe calipers, and fits 14 wheels if that is an issue. I would think booster is fine, quite sure master cylinder needs to be swapped and a rear metering valve installed.
I used Leeds. They work very well. Actually readily available ‘67 mustang rotors and calipers. Use a factory booster though. Leeds and many others use a modern aftermarket dual 8” booster with a design flaw, they get sticky when hot.

I used Leeds. They work very well. Actually readily available ‘67 mustang rotors and calipers. Use a factory booster though. Leeds and many others use a modern aftermarket dual 8” booster with a design flaw, they get sticky when hot.
I’m happy you said that!! I had bought their complete kit and went back forth with them about that very problem. Once driven a significant distance the brakes would drag and get hot. I even sent the booster back they said the bracket just needed an adjustment. Not… I ended up removing it and went to manual disc. Their disc kit I’m very satisfied with. Their Chinese booster sucked.

Idk... Uncle Tony said drums are just fine.

He needs to set down the bong.:D

https://www.doctordiff.com/front-disc-brake-kit-for-11.75-on-disc-knuckles.html

Many members, including me, have installed and recommended the kit from Cass at Doctor Diff.
Another of my Mopar friends recommended him as well. I checked it out and unfortunately he is out of stock on all his kits right now due to not having any spindles.

Its not an emergency to do the conversion right away, but with the way things are right now in the world I'm worried it may be a while before he gets any spindles in stock.

Not saying that I want to get an inferior kit because of that, but if there is one that is comparable and readily available I am willing to go that route. That and I would feel a whole lot more comfortable having the discs sooner than later with all us crazy California drivers, lol

Happy with the Dr Diff conversion.

Decent chance you may find the needed parts at the Fall Fling on Saturday.

Maybe you can buy the Dr Diff kit used. They fit Mopars other than b bodies. Try posting a wtb ad in FBBO, FEBO, etc.

Read up on the "disc o tech" from Mopar Actions archives before you go to the show. That will help you id what you'll need for the swap.

Save your funds, time and drive the car. I have both a factory power drum car and a factory power drum/disc car. They both stop EXACTLY the same!

Save your funds, time and drive the car. I have both a factory power drum car and a factory power drum/disc car. They both stop EXACTLY the same!
Right up until the drums fade when you stop hard from a higher speed. The 11’s are better for sure but I’ve had all of them and the drums all fade when you work them hard. They also are more prone to locking. I’d certainly keep them on the rear though.

If you find spindles at the show, try to get the keyed washer, big nut, stamped unit that goes over said nut and especially the dust caps. It seems the aftermarket caps still have an issue fitting correctly.

Auto Transport Service
Back