• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Roadrunner Carter carb question

69roadrunner383

Local time
7:49 AM
Reaction score
I’m going to rebuild my original,(this is what was on the car when I got it. Not sure if it is 100% original to the car.) Carter carb for my 69 roadrunner, just wondering what these two vacuum ports are for.?

IMG_7132.jpeg

IMG_7131.jpeg

What number is stamped on the lower left front near the base?

That car should have a divorced choke carburetor. That's not even a Mopar carb. The two ports you show are clean air (top) and warmed clean air (bottom). The air would have been routed through a small exhaust heat exchanger. The choke looks to have a heating coil too.
Mike

Here is the number of the carb. And another pic of the carb itself.
Looks like Hl 9626Sa

IMG_7143.jpeg

IMG_7144.jpeg

Looks like that's an aftermarket AFB for Chrysler applications, 625 cfm.

Since that's not the original carb to the car, I would look into getting a new Edelbrock 1406 or 1906 if you want to retain the electric choke.

In my book, these early Carter performance AFB's were better carbs than Edelbrocks are. Just my 2 cents worth.

In my book, these early Carter performance AFB's were better carbs than Edelbrocks are. Just my 2 cents worth.
Yep the carter's were ok for stock builds, the eddys are door stops.

Isn't ignorance bliss??
My mate runs an 800 Edel AVS2 'door stop' on a 410 stroker, street driven & registered, runs mid 11s....

If I was going to buy a new carb, it would be an Edelbrock AVS2. But since I have 30 or 40 Thermoquads, a few NOS and several 9800 series with the electric choke-this is what I will use.

Yeah, that's not even an AVS carb. You didn't say which engine you have, 383 and 440's had different carbs also. Plus auto or 4-speed. Someone else can point out exactly what number carb you are looking for if you go in that direction.

If you're looking for originality, that's NOT the carb you want to use. Either search for the correct Carter application, or use an aftermarket AVS carb.

Auto Transport Service
Back