• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Super Bee Rebuild (my way)

I only had to wait 2 months for the custom shop to reopen so I could get the 10's in a custom backspace.

What is this custom shop you speak of? :popcorn2:
I'd like some 15 x 10 slots..... I sure wish they made the M/T Indy profiles still.
I thought those were the coolest ever growing up.

What is this custom shop you speak of? :popcorn2:
I'd like some 15 x 10 slots..... I sure wish they made the M/T Indy profiles still.
I thought those were the coolest ever growing up.
Cragar has done custom backspacing for years, but it has been shut down for a few years. 7 or 8 years ago when they did my Keystones, they would make the wheels with a backspace in increments of 1/16". They just reopened it in mid August, but only for 4 of their most popular wheels. The SS direct drill, SS unilug, Keystones, and StreetPro 390C. Now they will only do 1/8" increments in backspace. As far as I know, there is only 1 company making the aluminum slots that you like. US Mags? You should call them and inquire, who knows, maybe they would make some for you. I was told that American Racing will do custom spacing on their popular Torque Thrusts also.

Small update. The motor is supposed to ship by the end of the month, but I am not holding my breath...
Made a wheel change decision on the Bee. Decided I like my Keystones better on my RR, and Cragars better on the Dodge.
Had some unilug 7 and 8 inch Cragars, but wanted 10's in the rear so decided to just order a new set of conical lug 7 and 10's. Luckily I only had to wait 2 months for the custom shop to reopen so I could get the 10's in a custom backspace.

View attachment 1003371 View attachment 1003372 View attachment 1003373
Love it, 2 nice looking rides!

Love it, 2 nice looking rides!
Thanks Devin. Too bad I probably won't get a chance to try out the new wheels and tires this year. By the time I get the motor back and installed there may be snow flying. Woke up to 31* here this morning.

Thanks Devin. Too bad I probably won't get a chance to try out the new wheels and tires this year. By the time I get the motor back and installed there may be snow flying. Woke up to 31* here this morning.
I'm in a similar situation, boogered up my Charger so it's spent most of the summer in the garage. Now that it's September I realized I won't get to drive it unless I get off of my *** lol. I wrapped up the bodywork and threw on some primer... driving it now. Been a crazy year.

Like the Cragars on the Bee. What backspace did you get on the 10" wheels? I have 10" wide cop wheels with 5" b.s. on my Charger, thought about custom offset Cragars or Torque Thrusts until I saw the price. LOL

Like the Cragars on the Bee. What backspace did you get on the 10" wheels? I have 10" wide cop wheels with 5" b.s. on my Charger, thought about custom offset Cragars or Torque Thrusts until I saw the price. LOL
5 3/8" backspace on the 10" Cragars. That is real close to exactly centering them between the inner wheel well and the wheel well lip on the Bee. One side could have been 5 5/16", but they don't do 1/16" increments anymore.

Everytime I walked around the back on this car, it always bugged me that the copper shows through between the taillamps and the finish panel. Did a lot of web searching without finding an answer if it was blacked out from the factory. Big thanks to Darrin aka Big D A12 for confirming that this area did indeed get black, probably at the same time as the radiator support blackout. Didn't feel like taping off the entire car to spray, so used a small foam brush with the flat/textured paint I used on my dash and steering column. Not perfect, but works in my world now.

20201128_121308.jpg 20201128_121217.jpg 20201128_152956.jpg 20201129_081156.jpg 20201129_074304.jpg

And finally getting around to the second motor installation. Would have had it done this weekend but noticed a couple of small issues that are far easier to take car of now instead of later. Reverse lamp switch is leaking between the metal housing and the plastic barrel. And my crank pulley alignment is not the best. So I am waiting on a pulley shim from 440 Source, and a switch through Amazon.

20201129_082628.jpg

your B looks great. I have a 440 model, it's blacked out as well.
Thanks. It's going to be a long winter wait to be able to get it back on the road next spring.

70 Chargers also have the same issue with body color showing through behind the rear finish panel ,around the taillights too.

I think the blackout looks super - well done and regardless if it was original or not, I think it looks better that way!

With all the delays in shipping since this covid crisis began, I am pleasantly surprised with these 3 companies. Summit, 440 Source, and Amazon. Fast shipping from all 3. Redid a bit of my fuel line. Added a .055" crank pulley spacer, and installed a non leaking reverse lamp switch. Motor will definitely be bolted back in the car this weekend.

20201201_163943.jpg 20201201_164813.jpg 20201201_164739.jpg 20201201_164708.jpg

It's for sure way easier to make sure all your pulleys are 100 percent lined up with the engine out! I spent about a week getting mine where I wanted. :thumbsup:

Well, the Bee is alive again. Buttoned it up and ran it for 20 minutes in the garage. No leaks this time which was very nice. Think I have a header to head exhaust leak to deal with next spring however. Pulled it into it's winter hibernation....

20201210_103555.jpg 20201210_085247.jpg 20201210_085233.jpg 20201210_085304.jpg 20201210_085327.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back