• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Super Bee Rebuild (my way)

Joel, back to the brakes. So if you had to pick would you choose the 15/16 or the 1 1/32? Do they both stop well just a matter of pedal travel?

And that is exactly why I stipulated that it had to be capable of running on any 91 octane gas here in WI. We only have one station that sells race gas here. It is 15 miles away and even with gas being "cheap" right now, it is still $9.00/gallon.

Non-ox 91 fuel is still almost 20 miles away. E10 87 is all that's available close. My 440 is a low compression cast piston deal. I run 87 unless I'm going on a trip or it's pretty hot out. Vapor lock is no laughing matter. LOL

That sucks but at least you are having him fix it. That's a big error on his part that could have been avoided. Let us know which way you are going to go with the motor.

That sucks but at least you are having him fix it. That's a big error on his part that could have been avoided. Let us know which way you are going to go with the motor.
I will. After pm'ing with a couple of the racers on here, they made me rethink a bit. If I force him to build the motor the way I want and it doesn't work out, then he can wash his hands of it. He is a well respected Mopar engine builder with a stellar reputation. Everybody makes mistakes, and he happened to make one on this motor. Also, everybody has a different preferred method of putting these things together. He is not a rookie by any means. He wants to talk and figure out which route to go after he has it back in his shop and it is tore down.

Last edited:
Joel, back to the brakes. So if you had to pick would you choose the 15/16 or the 1 1/32? Do they both stop well just a matter of pedal travel?
I honestly don't know how to answer that question. I feel as though the 1 1/32 mc will stop the car better than the 15/16 one does. Idk, maybe because that's what I grew up with, but to me it feels safer. There are however piles of guys running the smaller bore and love them. Cass says the 15/16 is a far more popular seller for him. Maybe I just have to get used to it. I do feel as though a 1 inch bore would be perfect.

Any updates Joel?
New pistons, bearings, cam, and lifters were finally ordered today. Pistons are custom CP's and are out 5 weeks. Also Brian sent the leaking oil pan back to Milodon for them to repair. So things are starting to move along.

Last edited:
In the meantime I decided to build a decent engine/transmission dolly so I don't have to cobble carts and stands together for engine install from the bottom anymore. Made it adjustable so it will work on A-bodies also.

20200727_163928.jpg 20200727_163919.jpg 20200727_163950.jpg

Last edited:
That should make it easier. And your drive train will look really good on it

Just got an email from Brian at IMM out in CA. The custom Icon pistons finally showed up. He also sent the oil pan back to Milodon and they repaired the bad weld and it is back in his hands as well. Should now be ready to to get the engine assembly started.

DSC05205 (800x600).jpg

As long as they cure my detonation issue, I like them too..............

Small update. The motor is supposed to ship by the end of the month, but I am not holding my breath...
Made a wheel change decision on the Bee. Decided I like my Keystones better on my RR, and Cragars better on the Dodge.
Had some unilug 7 and 8 inch Cragars, but wanted 10's in the rear so decided to just order a new set of conical lug 7 and 10's. Luckily I only had to wait 2 months for the custom shop to reopen so I could get the 10's in a custom backspace.

20200815_105840.jpg 20200917_151013.jpg 20200917_145121.jpg

First thing I realized when the new wheels showed up is that the factory lug studs which work fine on steelies and the unilug design only give 1/2" of thread engagement with conical nuts on the thick wheels. A call to Cass @ Dr Diff got me the solution. Dorman 610-290 for the front rotors and Dorman 610-287's for the rear axles. Note to myself, if I ever buy another Strange 60, order threaded studs instead of press in. Way more options.

20200917_135202.jpg 20200916_131410.jpg 20200916_131404.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back