• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 383 oil pressure + pan question

lochenjons

Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
oil-pressure.jpg

This is what my oil pressure gauge read on the freeway at 2300 RPM. It pretty much jumps to 80 any time I'm on the gas. Sometimes it goes above 80. Is this normal? Idle is about 20PSI. I know the motor has a more aggressive cam but I think that's about it.

Also what do you guys recommend for an oil pan with a stock center link? I've put my oil pan on and off too many times chasing leaks that it's been obviously warped and now it's leaking more than I like. Going to be using the blue reusable gasket.

Oil pump has a high pressure spring in it.... Unless you RPM the engine past 6K I'd put a standard spring in it, it's much easier on the oil pump drive shaft..

I would suggest a reproduction Six Pack pan & pickup...

Copy that, I think I'm going to try running 5w30 in it before I switch the spring out and see if that changes anything.

Oil pump has a high pressure spring in it.... Unless you RPM the engine past 6K I'd put a standard spring in it, it's much easier on the oil pump drive shaft..

I would suggest a reproduction Six Pack pan & pickup...
The 60 psi difference is what bothers me. I have a high pressure pump in my modified Hemi. After it's at operating temperature it runs 90 psi at 3000 rpm and it idles at 900 rpm at 60 psi. I would verify the accuracy of the gauge and if its right I would replace the oil pump. I only have a 30 psi difference. My question is how will this pump respond to a standard pressure spring? The standard pump on my Superbird runs 40 psi at 3000 rpm and 20 psi at idle which is at 700 rpm.

I'll try and get a better more accurate range when I get home... I'll be back home from work Saturday I can get a cold start range and warm.

The 60 psi difference is what bothers me. I have a high pressure pump in my modified Hemi. After it's at operating temperature it runs 90 psi at 3000 rpm and it idles at 900 rpm at 60 psi. I would verify the accuracy of the gauge and if its right I would replace the oil pump. I only have a 30 psi difference. My question is how will this pump respond to a standard pressure spring? The standard pump on my Superbird runs 40 psi at 3000 rpm and 20 psi at idle which is at 700 rpm.

The pressure difference is because at low RPM the pump doesn't create enough volume to overcome internal oil leakage past the bearings... The engine likely has full groove main bearings & fairly loose clearances.. Pretty typical on an engine that's really ready to see some serious RPM's... Tight bearings are great for a lot of engines but not a true performance engine... Tight bearing in a performance engine winds up spinning a a bearing...

I'd honestly be more concerned about your modified Hemi...

My super modified 383 that looks like it was used as a boat anchor? Haha... she's not pretty but she runs good. I'm going to try and get in touch with the guy who "built" the motor and see what he says about it. Last I talked to him he didn't say much other than it has a mildly more aggressive cam in it.

My super modified 383 that looks like it was used as a boat anchor? Haha... she's not pretty but she runs good. I'm going to try and get in touch with the guy who "built" the motor and see what he says about it. Last I talked to him he didn't say much other than it has a mildly more aggressive cam in it.

Hey, there's more ways to get loose clearances then just turning the crank a little undersize... Putting miles on the engine will do the same thing....

Old hotrodder saying. They run the best just before they blow up... LOL...

But seriously a mild engine will run .001-.0015 on the rods & .0015-.002 on the mains... A race engine might be running .0025 on the rods & .0035 on the mains...

The pressure difference is because at low RPM the pump doesn't create enough volume to overcome internal oil leakage past the bearings... The engine likely has full groove main bearings & fairly loose clearances.. Pretty typical on an engine that's really ready to see some serious RPM's... Tight bearings are great for a lot of engines but not a true performance engine... Tight bearing in a performance engine winds up spinning a a bearing...

I'd honestly be more concerned about your modified Hemi...
Agree! Loose motor happy motor. RPMs mopars.

It's possible your gauge is just not all that accurate.

This very common. Gauge is close. As stated loose clearance at low speed. Pump can't keep up at low speed. This is no issue what so ever. The high end can be trimmed to about 60 psi. Either swap the spring or cut 1/2 coil at a time until it gets where it needs to be. The lifter bores are probably more of a cause than bearing clearance. I've run up to .004" with no issue. Remember if it's to loose only you will know. If it's to tight everyone will know. I personally run 0w30 in my race motor to 7500 with no failures.
Doug

Hey! Thats what she said...
Ha ! good one

Lots of good info here thank you gentlemen. That $89 pan from 440 source looks great, I think I'm going to go that route. I was considering a windage tray but the motor has run this long without one might be best to leave it as is.

I just recently got that repro 6 quart pan and IMO it's a bargain at $89. Very well made unit
and fits with ease - and you can get their pickup with it if you like, but know that the stock 4 qt.
pickup works just fine with the 6 qt., too (same dimensions on both).

Does your stock center link fit underneath? That's an issue with the current 6 qt pan I have... rubber mallet fixed it though

Does your stock center link fit underneath? That's an issue with the current 6 qt pan I have... rubber mallet fixed it though
Yep, fits perfect. It should, after all - it's a direct copy of the factory hemi pan.
It gets the additional capacity laterally rather than by being deeper.
4qt 6qt side by side.jpg
new pan in 1.jpg
new pan in 2.jpg

IMHO, a number of clearances(& combination of them) produce that wide variation from idle to higher RPM. Bearing, rod side clearance, cam bearing, lifter along with the oil pump itself. Maybe oil filter too??

Auto Transport Service
Back