• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 383 Rebuilder Wanted

jimkf

Local time
12:45 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to find someone in northern Ohio willing to tackle the rebuild on my 70 Coronet wagon's 383. It's developed a rod knock so while it still runs, it's not happy. The only issue is that I do not have the equipment to pull the engine which is why I'm running into trouble finding a shop. It seems no one wants the whole car - just the engine.

I'm in the Cleveland area but beggars can't be choosers!

Any recommendations?

IMG_5027 (1).jpg IMG_7852.jpg

It seems no one wants the whole car - just the engine.

Well, there's a reason for that. Extreme analogy, but it's kinda like looking for a roofer to build you the whole house...... You most likely don't want that.

In your shoes, I'd find someone to pull it, or preferably a friend you can trust to help, and then work with the machinist of your choice yourself for the rebuild. It's was always difficult to find someone to do the job start to finish.....even harder now with these classics.

Anyone that rebuilds engines will not want your dead car around taking up space for 6 months ( I hope ) in their shop You should be able to go to a rent all type place and rent an engine hoist to lift the motor out yourself if you have a garge floor to work on

Very clean looking car. The more you can do will save lots of money in the end. This is only if you have room at your place to do it. You will have to spend money for a hoist. Got one from harbor freight not bad price. Hydraulic cylinder to make it lift Eazy Peezy. This where you find out if you really have friends or not. :lol:

Curious. How did you determine it has a rod knock?

Curious. How did you determine it has a rod knock?
I agree, and that being an unusual car (Nice by the way) could possibly be an original mileage car. If it still has, by chance the original timing set. Losing a couple teeth on a nylon gear sounds just like a rod knock. Think I would do a stethoscope ck to pinpoint location of your sound. Just a thought.:popcorn2:

I agree, and that being an unusual car (Nice by the way) could possibly be an original mileage car. If it still has, by chance the original timing set. Losing a couple teeth on a nylon gear sounds just like a rod knock. Think I would do a stethoscope ck to pinpoint location of your sound. Just a thought.:popcorn2:
And a few people have had the fuel pump come apart.

Thanks gang...I hear you...I need to get the engine out of the car. I have a cherry picker and a fairly full compliment of tools so I will look into what it'll take to remove the engine. My expertise is with six cylinder Continental Red Seal engines in older Kaisers and removing them seems much simpler - remove the dog house and lift the engine enough to clear the frame. Pulling a much heavier eight from the Dodge will obviously take more effort.

Question for the group - should the engine and transmission come out together? Any tips or tricks to do the job right the first time?

About 25% of the initial rod knock diagnoses in my experience turn out to be a torque converter bolt.

Bob Waters builds Mopars and is north of Columbus. I can dig up his contact info if you wish.

Thanks gang...I hear you...I need to get the engine out of the car. I have a cherry picker and a fairly full compliment of tools so I will look into what it'll take to remove the engine. My expertise is with six cylinder Continental Red Seal engines in older Kaisers and removing them seems much simpler - remove the dog house and lift the engine enough to clear the frame. Pulling a much heavier eight from the Dodge will obviously take more effort.

Question for the group - should the engine and transmission come out together? Any tips or tricks to do the job right the first time?
If you were doing something with the trans anyways, I would pull as 1.
If the trans has no reason to come out, then just the motor.

I'm trying to find someone in northern Ohio willing to tackle the rebuild on my 70 Coronet wagon's 383. It's developed a rod knock so while it still runs, it's not happy. The only issue is that I do not have the equipment to pull the engine which is why I'm running into trouble finding a shop. It seems no one wants the whole car - just the engine.

I'm in the Cleveland area but beggars can't be choosers!

Any recommendations?

View attachment 1510752 View attachment 1510755
Quality Car Care Auto, Bob Waters (330)858-0035 .
1f642.png

I posted this video on FB of the engine running and the noise it's making. To answer a few questions - I checked the flexplate and it's not cracked or loose, the fuel pump is new and the noise increases with engine rpms. Give it a listen and feel free to comment.

I posted this video on FB of the engine running and the noise it's making. To answer a few questions - I checked the flexplate and it's not cracked or loose, the fuel pump is new and the noise increases with engine rpms. Give it a listen and feel free to comment.

This Facebook post is no longer available. It may have been removed or the privacy settings of the post may have changed.

Mike... i gotta ask, related to this bob waters??

No just a friend. We met years ago at The Nats. We stay at the same hotel every year. Bob and Dee are good people and they have built many nice Mopars!

dee's cuda.jpg

Well dang, it seems videos cannot be posted here. I get it, space restraints. Anyway, if you're a FB user, the video is posted on the 1970 Dodge Coronet Club page under my name - Jim Lape.

Auto Transport Service
Back